Blueberry Hefeweizen Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBigDog

Reaction score
OK, so my wife has requested a Blueberry Wheat Beer. I think I'm going to go with the following:

AHS Anniversary Hefeweizen All Grain Kit with Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Blend 3056.

Do you all think that will go well with the fruit?

If yes, my plan is to add 4lbs of frozen (thawed & slightly mashed) blueberries to secondary.

I was also planning on adding 1oz of blueberry extract when I keg. Should I go 2oz instead?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was not sure about adding fruit to a standard Hefeweizen, but think that the 3056 should create a milder base flavor profile.

Thanks!

I think I'd leave that extract out. Maybe your extract is better than what I used but it left an unpleasant bite on the tongue when I used a blueberry extract to flavor.

Just keged this today. I have to say that first taste is that I don't love it. Great purple color, not much blueberry flavor. I decided to add a little extract to the keg. We'll see how it goes.

i'd be interested because i just brewed a hefe and tossed 3.5# of blackberries into the secondary. hoping the high temps recently haven't messed with it too bad.

KCBigDog said:
OK, so my wife has requested a Blueberry Wheat Beer. I think I'm going to go with the following:

AHS Anniversary Hefeweizen All Grain Kit with Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Blend 3056.

Do you all think that will go well with the fruit?

If yes, my plan is to add 4lbs of frozen (thawed & slightly mashed) blueberries to secondary.

I was also planning on adding 1oz of blueberry extract when I keg. Should I go 2oz instead?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was not sure about adding fruit to a standard Hefeweizen, but think that the 3056 should create a milder base flavor profile.

Thanks!

Hey KC, I am interested in knowing how this turned out as well. I was thinking of making an American Wheat with blueberries.

i also completely screwed up the temps on the mash and missed my OG by a mile on the low side so i could have some blackberry pop here soon.

This one turned out really well. Everyone liked it and the keg didn't last long at all. I used 4lbs of blueberries in secondary and used the entire 2oz of extract. When I do this again, I would prefer an American wheat base beer.

Back