Blue moon clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djventer

Reaction score
I am from South Africa and while I was working in the US I really enjoyed Blue Moon.

We don't get it in South Africa and I want to brew it at home.

I know there is a lot of recipes on the site but I am looking for a 1 gallon recipe All Grain.

Would really appreciate some help.

I am from South Africa and while I was working in the US I really enjoyed Blue Moon.

We don't get it in South Africa and I want to brew it at home.

I know there is a lot of recipes on the site but I am looking for a 1 gallon recipe All Grain.

Would really appreciate some help.

Here is a pretty good thread on HBT where the originator of the beer which ultimately became Blue Moon, Wayne1, posted his recipe and procedures: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

I have brewed more or less that same recipe twice now and both times the beer was a pretty close approximation of Blue Moon. After finishing the second version of my recipe, I poured and tasted cups of my recipe and Blue Moon side-by-side after only 4 days in the keezer and a two-week primary and they are very close. The second recipe is almost a dead on clone except that my clone was cloudier than Blue Moon which is surprisingly transparent for a Belgian White and that my version has more orange aroma as explained in the ingredients section below. Note that I use an equal ratio of coriander seed to sweet orange peel and not what is described in the link above, however I do add more orange rind at the time of kegging.

Here's my second recipe which was originally 11 gallons scaled to 1 gallon with beersmith. I don't know what is going on with the scaling and the estimated mash efficiency as that obviously isn't correct. FWIW, that number was 83% before I scaled it:

Batch 80 - Blue Moon clone
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Type: All Grain Date: 8/25/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal Brewer: Bob
Boil Size: 3.77 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 2.08 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 1.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 152.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage long Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
14.5 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %
0.39 oz Saaz [2.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.9 IBUs
0.14 oz Saaz [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 7.6 IBUs
0.18 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 5 - I bought whole seed in bulk and crushed it in a food processor for a few minutes until I got very small pieces but not powder
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
0.1 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -
0.18 oz Naval Orange Peel (Bottling 0.0 mins) Spice 8 - For my 10 gallon batch I used a rind scraper to create rind strips from 6 oranges then added them to about a quarter cup of vodka inside two boiling bags. After 30 minutes or so I put one bag of rinds and vodka into each keg after primary was completed. The rind addition really increases the orange nose even more so than what is found in Blue Moon itself but I like the effect so I plan to do this or something similar every time I brew this recipe. In my previous version or the recipe I used rinds from 8 oranges (4/keg) and dried them in a oven at 200 degrees for about 25 minutes before adding to each keg in boiling bags and I got even more pronounced orange aroma that way. Leave out this ingredient if you want something more exactly like actual Blue Moon.

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 19.5 IBUs Calories: 172.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 3.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 1 lbs 13.1 oz
Sparge Water: 3.42 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 5.47 qt of water at 158.2 F 150.0 F 65 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 3.42 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg with priming agent Volumes of CO2: 2.6
Pressure/Weight: 0.12 oz Carbonation Used: Keg with 0.12 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 0.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage long Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

8/24/2013 - ordered Hallertauer Mittelfrueh which I had planned to use as this is what Blue Moon uses but the package did not arrive in time to use so I went back to Saaz since I had some already opened. I also decided not to add 1 lb flaked oaks, even though Blue Moon does, as the estimated SG was kind of high. I used the flaked oats in the first version I brewed of this recipe and really can't tell any difference between the two beers that I would attribute to the oats. Next time I brew this I'll cut back a bit on the white wheat and add the flaked oats. My wife really likes Blue Moon so I plan to always have it on one of my taps.

Created with BeerSmith

Latest posts

Back