Blubelmel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwmistr

Reaction score
Well I just started my next batch using organic honey from a local bee farmer and 500grams Blueberries crushed.
This batch will be 18Liters and has a O.G of 1.066.
I started with 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2 tsp diammonium phosphate in the first 24hrs and again in the second 24hrs and now it off to the races. This will be batch 5 of experiences in mead so far. The last batch 4 was a orginal water and honey only with french oak to see what would happen. Harsh in the first 3 months but very smooth profile after 9months aging. Leaving the last bottle to age for over a year to see how the oak will play with the mead.

Doesn't seem like much blueberries based on other recipes I've seen... Usually around 1 pound (~500g) per gallon (~4L). Sounds good to me though, I'd rather have a hint of flavor rather than a smack in the face! :)

Last edited:
RPH-Guy
Ya it doesn't sound like much but the aroma in the brew room makes me want to drink it now. LOL:ban:
Will test and taste after first ferment and add to taste after that for the second ferment then age.

Well the Blubelmel is now in age mode in the wine rack. Started at 1.066 and finished at 0.995 so its nice about 10.5% going my memory. The secondary blueberry addition added a very nice blueish red hue to the batch and a nice light taste of blueberry. Aging will take the yeastie overtone out as per other batches at about 9month to 1.5 years.

I just noticed I didn't add the recipe so this might clear things up.

975 Grams (2.145 LBS) Local Brand Farm Honey – Unpasteurized.

2.9KG (6.38LBS) No Name Honey (Pasteurized)

500 Grams Blueberries (50grams sugar)

1 Cup White Sugar (128 Grams)

245 Grams (Blueberry slurry is 128g sugar and 500mL bottle water poured in secondary)

½ Tsp Yeast nutrient (Wyeast Brand)

½ Tsp Ammonium Phosphate (Yeast Nutrient)

1 packet -5g- Lalvin EC-1118 yeast (75% Attenuation)

I only added the 245grams of blueberries with 128grams white sugar and mixed it with 500mL of bottled water and poured it in.

Back