Thoughts about making mead with charred oak balls.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anya2035

Reaction score
New to making mead. My first batch was a sweet dessert mead using my own honey from bee hives! Very good. It was about 12% and not too sweet but not too dry. I just started a batch of spicy pumpkin mead. A little worried as I am into day two and one of the two buckets not bubbling. That is not what I am posting for though. I am looking for suggestions on what type of mead recipe to use charred oak balls in. (should I use spirals?). Should I make a straight mead or do you folks have some creative ideas? Remember, I am just a beginner :). Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

Mead Making in Allentown, PA

I just used Stavin Oak Cubes for the first time recently. I used the Medium Toast French Oak at the manufacturers dosing suggestion (2 ounces per 5 gallons).

I gave the cubes a vodka soak prior to adding to the carboy to wash off the dust and hopefully kill any nasties that may be on the wood.

3 weeks was enough time to impart a nice oak flavor and round off the sharp tartness of the melomel. I feel that the oak also provides some tannins.

Just my experience.

Todd Peterson

Latest posts

Back