BlowTie spunding valve help needed, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was told to me by product manager at a duotight vendor you need to pull the tubing out after getting it shoved in all the way. That’s how you get the dual seal. FYI

Hmm...In practice, I do always pull back on the tubing once fully inserted.
But that's to set the teeth, not to somehow optimize the internal O-ring contact...

Cheers!

yeah, that’s what he was saying, something about how they make the tightest connection when it’s pulled back out. Don’t recall the specifics but that’s the gist. Tug it out a bit to set it tight. He also recommended the little locking clips to for stuff that moves a lot or hoses that get jostled often like when changing kegs in a tight cooler, etc.

The saga continues...

1) I put it on a keg with a known pressure of 12psi. The gauge on BlowTie measures 8psi.
2) I performed a submersion leak test. First, the gas QD. I was troubled that the bottom / poppet end was blowing a big bubble every 10 seconds. The only thing I could think of was to tighten up the seal with a flathead, on top. That did not fix that leak...
3) A small leak at the DuoTight connection point closest to the spunding valve. No idea what to do about that.
4) Small leaks near the screws of the gauge and the twist dial.

All I can think to do is disconnect the gauge and apply keg lube as @TenaCJed suggests. What else might be worth doing? I don't want to bust chops with the merchant - I'd like to make sure I can fix the issue before assuming the stuff is busted. Thanks!

The saga continues...

1) I put it on a keg with a known pressure of 12psi. The gauge on BlowTie measures 8psi.
2) I performed a submersion leak test. First, the gas QD. I was troubled that the bottom / poppet end was blowing a big bubble every 10 seconds. The only thing I could think of was to tighten up the seal with a flathead, on top. That did not fix that leak...
3) A small leak at the DuoTight connection point closest to the spunding valve. No idea what to do about that.
4) Small leaks near the screws of the gauge and the twist dial.

All I can think to do is disconnect the gauge and apply keg lube as @TenaCJed suggests. What else might be worth doing? I don't want to bust chops with the merchant - I'd like to make sure I can fix the issue before assuming the stuff is busted. Thanks!
For item 2: Try keg lube on the o-ring that the gas QD is going on?
For item 3: Pull the tube out of the fitting, make sure the cut is pretty straight and not gnarled up, re cut if needed and then re-seat it making sure to push hard on it so that it goes all the way in. If you got the full kit with little tubes included, you will need new tubing as those are already really short tubes.
For item 4: Going to have to remove the gauge and put keg lube on the gauge o-ring.

For item 1: If after that all the leaks are fixed, then check the pressure again on the gauge, give it a could of taps for it to level out to determine the pressure. If it is still low you might want to reach out to whoever you purchased it from. Williams is sending me a replacement gauge for mine. They were very quick with response and shipping the replacement!

For item 2: Try keg lube on the o-ring that the gas QD is going on?

The MFL of the QD? Sure! I can try that.

For item 3: Pull the tube out of the fitting, make sure the cut is pretty straight and not gnarled up, re cut if needed and then re-seat it making sure to push hard on it so that it goes all the way in. If you got the full kit with little tubes included, you will need new tubing as those are already really short tubes.

THAT SETTLES IT! Exactly the problem I'm having. I can't pull the tubing back after shoving it in because there's not enough "meat". Well, I can do that routine for one side of it but that leaves very little tubing for the fitting on the other side. Good news - I have 5' of tubing ready to go. And a handy straight cutter tool.

For item 4: Going to have to remove the gauge and put keg lube on the gauge o-ring.

You mentioned "popped off" but, I need to remove the two screws, don't I?

For item 1: If after that all the leaks are fixed, then check the pressure again on the gauge, give it a could of taps for it to level out to determine the pressure. If it is still low you might want to reach out to whoever you purchased it from. Williams is sending me a replacement gauge for mine. They were very quick with response and shipping the replacement!

Permission to laugh granted. When you say "taps", you want me to keep BlowTie connected to keg gas post and pour a pint? Then check gauge? Or you mean attach BlowTie to keg with known pressure then literally tap on the gauge with my finger? lol

Yes, Williams has been a pleasure to deal with! I'm hoping I can get this all worked out on my own but glad to know I've got a solid merchant in case I can't.

I'll update when I give it another test, thanks!

For item 2 I assumed it was whatever you had the QD on that was leaking since you mentioned trying to tighten the screw on the top of the QD. If it is at the MFL is it duotight fitting or metal fitting? If it is metal, make sure you have the little plastic or whatever washer on. If it is duotight, slowly tighten the duotight fitting very little at a time until the leak stops. Mine leaked on the duotight fitting on the MFL and I had to tighten it a lot with a wrench, but only did a little at a time and tested until it no longer leaked.

For item 3 you will need something small to put pressure on the clamping mechanism to remove the tube. I use this:
KOMOS® Draft Multi Tool with Duotight Remover (7 in 1) | MoreBeer - one of the notches was designed for duotight fittings and tube removal!

For item 4 you will need to first remove the 2 screws and take the cover off. You will see the round gauge and under that a square piece of metal, I think it was gold colored. That is the piece that I worked on removing as I did not want to damage the gauge. I used small screwdrivers, computer style flathead and slowly worked on prying up each side. It took a while as I did not want to damage anything. I could not find anything from kegland on how you are supposed to remove the gauge other than the video that says you can easily remove it. Once you have it off on the back side there is a post that goes into the hole that has an o-ring on it, that is what you will put the keg lube on. Slide it back on and apply some pressure on both sides of the plate to ensure it seats good and put everything else back on.

For tapping I meant tapping on the gauge itself. Old school trick to test if the gauge has settled. So you put the blowtie on the keg you are testing, then tap on the gauge cover a couple of times until the gauge no longer changes.

For item 2 I assumed it was whatever you had the QD on that was leaking since you mentioned trying to tighten the screw on the top of the QD. If it is at the MFL is it duotight fitting or metal fitting? If it is metal, make sure you have the little plastic or whatever washer on. If it is duotight, slowly tighten the duotight fitting very little at a time until the leak stops. Mine leaked on the duotight fitting on the MFL and I had to tighten it a lot with a wrench, but only did a little at a time and tested until it no longer leaked.

Clarification. The open side of the QD is what's leaking. The side which connects to the post of the keg, for example. So, I'm assuming the poppet inside of it isn't making a tight seal. I can take it apart and apply a little lube to the flat washer inside... Not sure how much it'll help. The MFL side of it that connects to the FFL -> DuoTight seemed to be sealing well! I had already wrenched it on pretty damn tight (well before this leak test).
It's the KegLand brand QD that came with the BlowTie kit. The very reason I trust my CMB QDs is because I don't experience issues like this with them. Back to the drawing board...

For item 3 you will need something small to put pressure on the clamping mechanism to remove the tube. I use this:
KOMOS® Draft Multi Tool with Duotight Remover (7 in 1) | MoreBeer - one of the notches was designed for duotight fittings and tube removal!

I've seen this tool, pretty handy! I am able to easily get the tubing out. All it takes is some precise fingernail work. Wash hands first duh lol

For item 4 you will need to first remove the 2 screws and take the cover off.

These are great instructions that sound threatening to the guy who does not have surgical hands. For the greater good, I will try!

For tapping I meant tapping on the gauge itself. Old school trick to test if the gauge has settled.

Haha, got it. When I get some time, I'll give it all another try. Thanks!

Received replacement gauge and this one is just about spot on to what my regulator and original blowtie with separate gauge!

Since I did not find anything on removing the gauge, thought I would take a couple of pictures while doing it.

First picture shows the replacement gauge next to the blowtie.

Second picture screws are out and the cover is off. Also the smaller computer screwdriver I use to pry the gauge off is in the picture.

Third picture shows prying from the bottom plate to separate the gauge. Keep doing this slowly and easily from each side.

Last picture shows the gauge removed and the bottom of the plate with the o-ring to hit with some keg lube.

Put everything back and screws back in and test it out!

Attachments

• 20200713_154551.jpg
    20200713_154551.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200713_154737.jpg
    20200713_154737.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200713_154819.jpg
    20200713_154819.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200713_154946.jpg
    20200713_154946.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Since I did not find anything on removing the gauge, thought I would take a couple of pictures while doing it.

Somebody give this dude a medal. I'll give it a go with my current (leaky) gauge. Will report results, THANK YOU!

I'm currently going through the same issues as you've explained here. Mind giving us that update?
I actually never got around to it. Sorry. :-/

I've come to conclude my "issues" with the BlowTie are just user error. Seems I've managed to get the damn thing working as intended. I think?

Disclosure - I am guessing. Below is my experience, I'm not an expert.

So, a little patience seems to be the solution. Connect BT to the vessel you are trying to relieve pressure from. The gauge reports the current pressure. Slowly open the dial. Get it dialed to where it isn't resisting, tightly. Don't open dial to the point where the dial comes fully unthreaded. Let the dial sit for ~1 minute? If you've got pressure building in the vessel, it should start to bleed off. You'll know! And when you hear that hiss, just slowly dial it back tighter to lock in your target relief pressure.

I really don't know what the FK I'm talking about, take that for what it is. Good luck!

Back