Blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristopher

Reaction score
I added a blowoff tube to primary fermentor as the the first time I brewed it popped the cover. Problem is I cut the hole a hair too big. When I put the plug in there is a small air space. I siliconed the outside of lid to seal gap around plug. Question is if the krausen rises and touches silicone (can't see silicone from bottom of lid) will it contaminate beer? I will sanitize well. Should I just not chance it and buy a new lid?

First off, welcome to the hobby!

Could it contaminate your beer? Yes (anything, in theory can contaminate your beer).

Will it contaminate your beer? Probably not, like, really probably not. Just sanitize everything and you'll be good to go.

But if you really wanted to play it safe you could just get a new lid. Costs less than a batch of beer

I think you're probably fine. Hit it with some starsan and don't worry about it. If lids are cheap and easy to get, it couldn't hurt, though. It's harder to infect your beer than you would imagine.

To put it in perspective i have in the past forgot to sanitise my lid

To put it in perspective i have in the past forgot to sanitise my lid

And youre still alive!?!?!? :D

Seriously though, to the OP, sanitizing is important, but at the end of the day its sanitizing not sterilizing. Just keep on doin your thang

Latest posts

Back