Blown Contactor Troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handlebarz

Reaction score
So, yesterday I plugged in my controller and got it going. Everything was going well, then I walked across the room and heard the internal breaker pop. I unplugged the controller, opened it up and a small white puff of smoke came up off the contactor, which was incredibly hot to the touch.

I let it cool down, plugged it back in and now there is no power going to the element.

I've ordered another contactor, but obviously I don't want to blow another one. A little more background: it's a 30amp controller and I did have a dedicated 50amp circuit going to it. I changed the breaker out and it's now a 30amp circuit. I also have a 5500watt element in the kettle. Should I get a smaller element? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have four wires running to the controller (hot,hot,ground,neutral)? If you only have three then you are applying 220v to the coil and smoking it.

I have four wires going to it, yes.

I contacted the vendor--he seemed to think there was a wire that came loose during shipment.

Back