Blown Airlock Sometime Last Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraveSirRobin

Reaction score
Last Wednesday I brewed a batch of beer and my plan was to allow it to ferment while I was in Colorado from Friday through the following Saturday (today). I just got home and found that sometime last week I blew my airlock. So my question is this: is my beer bad and should it be dumped?

I searched the forum before posting this but only found responses based on people finding a blown airlock within a day or two. Mine must've been close to a week off the lid. What do you guys suggest I do?

If it's finished, taste it! If it tastes OK, bottle or keg and enjoy. Chances are it will be just fine.

Be sure to let us know though, now that you've got our interest!! :D

Carry on just as you would. Brewers still make beer using open fermentors. As long as it was in a relatively clean, and not dusty environment it will likely be fine.

GT

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The CO2 provides a pretty good barrier over the beer. As long a bug or something didn't crawl in there, you should be good.

Just stick a sanitized airlock back on it, until it's done fermenting and keep an eye on it. If the batch got ruined you'd know from the smell of it and the way it looked.

Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back