Blow out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotelguychris

Reaction score
So I'm still pretty much a novice here- so hopefully easy question. Something new happened in the last 24 hours to my carboy as it sat and fermented. Brewed 5 gallons Saturday night, all ok Sunday when I checked it, just normal bubbles- then checked it again when home from work Monday evening to a mess. Looks like pressure built up and blew my airlock across the room and some of my batch oozed onto the floor. Got cleaned up, but my question is- is this batch ruined? Air lock reinstalled and is still bubbling, but it was exposed for who knows how many hours. Thoughts?

Very common, you can eliminate it by always setting up a blow off tube. Very active fermentation can clog the airlock resulting in a blow off mess.
You should be just fine because the off gassing kept oxygen from entering your fermenter . Lesson learned!

I don't care what type of beer I've brewed. I put in a blowoff tube for every single batch I brew, then put the airlock in after 2-3 days.

As above, a blowout is normal for aggressive fermentation and can be avoided in the future with the blowoff tube. Just make sure you put only a little (1 inch or less) into the fermenter, and the other end into a bowl or cup with sanitizer in case of suck-back.

So I'm still pretty much a novice here- so hopefully easy question. Something new happened in the last 24 hours to my carboy as it sat and fermented. Brewed 5 gallons Saturday night, all ok Sunday when I checked it, just normal bubbles- then checked it again when home from work Monday evening to a mess. Looks like pressure built up and blew my airlock across the room and some of my batch oozed onto the floor. Got cleaned up, but my question is- is this batch ruined? Air lock reinstalled and is still bubbling, but it was exposed for who knows how many hours. Thoughts?

Was your carboy over filled or using a very active yeast? Fermentation temperature that is too high could cause any yeast to become over active. Hot fermentations can be controlled with a simple swamp cooler if the temperature was the cause.

Back