Blow off tube on a bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerDoc

Reaction score
I've seen lots of blow off tubes, all on carboys.
If you ferment in a bucket, how would you attach a blow-off tube? (I'm making a hefe next, apparently they can be a little vigorous.) It's a 3/8" hole, right? Stick a 3/8" tube directly in the hole in the lid or (as someone else here stated) use the "base" part of a 3-piece airlock and attach the hose to that? Is that the same size? Any benefit either way?

I've seen lots of blow off tubes, all on carboys.
If you ferment in a bucket, how would you attach a blow-off tube? (I'm making a hefe next, apparently they can be a little vigorous.) It's a 3/8" hole, right? Stick a 3/8" tube directly in the hole in the lid or (as someone else here stated) use the "base" part of a 3-piece airlock and attach the hose to that? Is that the same size? Any benefit either way?

I had a 3/8" piece of tube crammed into the grommet on my bucket, and the beer stuffs was spewing out all around it; It was too loose.

I got a airlock, and pushed a 1/2" ID tube over it, and worked great.

I'm far from an expert but in thinking about it, the main concern is airtightness. If you have a hole with the rubber grommet in it like came with my kit, that could be tight enough. But I think if you use the airlock piece as the male connector you will be able to get a tighter fit which seems to be desired.

-dylan

That was originally my bottling hose. I put a slit in it, heated it in boiling water and slipped it on.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

One thing that I do to all my airlocks is saw or break off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom of them.

I use either a 3/8 in hose through the grommet in the lid, or just a 1/2 in hose right in to the lid. The 1/2 in gets clogged much less. I just did a triple with the 3/8 and had to clean out the blowoff every hour or so for the first 2 days.

My buckets don't have grommets, just holes. So I usually use an airlock in a stopper and that works fantastic. But with my recent tripel I knew I'd need a blow off so I just jammed a 3/8" tube into the same stopper and it worked like a champ even with a violent fermentation and a huge krausen. The effer is still bubbling away after 6 days but I think it's safe to replace it with an airlock

I brewed my first batch today and used a 3 piece airlock to 3/8" x 1/2" thickness hose to a gallon carboy w/ solution. waitin for it to get goin with fermentation to see if itll work :)

oh, and this is into the lid of my true brew bucket

Latest posts

Back