Blow off tube clogged, what should i do, hardware stores are closed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colizza

Reaction score
It has a weird bubbling pattern, like no bubbling for 5-10 sec then a tone of rapid bubbles in 1 second

Quickly remove the end in your fermenter, clean it with something sanitized like a brush or paper clip, re-sanitize the tube and put it back in. During fermentation, there should be enough CO2 generated and pushed out of the opening to prevent O2 from getting in while you clean the blowoff tube.

What is the inner diameter of the tube? You should use at least 1/2" inner diameter to prevent clogs. Also, make sure the blowoff tube isn't jammed too far into the fermenter. The farther you push it in, the more likely the krausen will clog it.

You could probably pull the blow off tube, unclog it, sanitize, and replace without causing any issues. You could replace it with an airlock while you're cleaning your blow off tube if you want but you should be fine to leave it for a few minutes uncovered.

If your beer is fermenting vigorously enough to need of a blowoff tube, you don't even need to worry about doing it quickly. Just pull it off, bring it to the sink and clean it out. Sanitize it and replace it. If you're really worried, maybe cover the port loosely with a piece of foil while you do the cleaning.

FYI, this bubbling pattern could mean the outlet of the blowoff tube is pushed too deep into the sanitized solution. The further into the sanitized solution it is, the more pressure needs to build up to force all the CO2 out. But once it gets to a high enough pressure, a bunch will come out all at once. That is normal so your blowoff tube might not actually be clogged.

Or it might be, based on that picture.

It's definitely worth pulling the stopper out and making sure the opening on the airlock is clear. If it has some buildup in it, just clean it out with something sanitized and then re-sanitize the stopper and put it back in.

Another thing you could do is pull out the airlock/tube assembly, run some hot water through it, then some sanitized solution, then put it back into the stopper.

If you have FermcapS, you could add some to the fermenter. That should knock back the bubbling.

You definitely at least want to clear out any blockage before you go to sleep. The last thing you want to wake up to is a fermenter that blew its brains all over the ceiling.

I cleaned it and put it back on and the same thing hapenned... So yeah, i'm going to wait until tommorrow morning and buy a bigger tube

Or could i cover it with a sanitized piece of foil, like a liquid yeast starter?

Looks good! Yum!

ETA: IMO if you're going to go with a blowoff tube, go with the biggest one that will fit in the mouth of the carboy. 1", I believe, is the size. I don't use carboys, so I can't say for sure.

Its burton ale yeast, cooled it to around 66-68 degrees and might kick it or the rest of the fermentation. The carboy was a little bit too full, so im not surprise and this yeast is supposed to be quite violent... Pitched at aproximately 290bill cells

My blowoff tubes ALWAYS have that bubbling pattern. Its because the end of the tube is under like +6" of h2o pressure. So pressure builds until it exceeds the water pressure at the bottom of the blowoff container and.....blurp, gets released back to equilibrium.

It sounds like youve cleaned it by now, but in the future its nothing to worry about

As long as it was loosely covered, you should be fine. There is enough outward pressure to keep stuff out.

Like JKoravos said, ideally you would use a blowoff tube that fits snugly right into the carboy opening. I don't know what that size is since I don't use carboys either.

Good call keeping it in a tub.

I put back the blowoff tube and i got clogged again, even though fermentation is a tony bit less intense than yesterday, so im putting the foil back on for another 13hr (leaving for work)... Is it okay?

Latest posts

Back