Blow off set up: control beer & yeast loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerG

Reaction score
I understand there is debate about how to balance yeast and beer loss with blowing off braun heffe, and about whether or not braun heffe needs to be removed. That debate aside, and also ignoring the ridiculousness of this set up, does anyone see any real problems with this idea for maxing out beer volume in the fermenter and almost eliminating beer and yeast loss. The idea would be to allow beer, yeast, and braun hefe to enter the sep funnel through the blow out valve until about 1 liter of beer has been blown off. Then open the valve at the bottom of the sep funnel until beer and healthy yeast have fallen back into the fermenter, and stop it just before braun hefe can escape. Any thoughts?

Blowoff set up.jpg

That would work. Have you ever seen a burton union system? Yours is similar. If you put the return tube below the level of the wort(i.e. submerged) and the exit tube above the level of the wort you won't need any valve. The blowoff will automatically be returned to the carboy.

No I had not heard of the Burton System. I looked it up on the web, and yes it is the same idea, and it makes sense that you don't need the valve. It could be a nice touch though to dictate exactly what you allow back into your beer ;) Thanks for the comments. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back