Blow off help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigLeeFromSC

Reaction score
I've read other posts trying to fix my blow off problem, but with no immediate solution. I have a bucket that keeps blowing the lid, I do not have the tubing to set up a blow off. And with it being New Years everything is closed. But i do have a question, it seems to do a little better when i leave the top cap off the airlock- is this acceptable? Or am i asking for trouble?

Btw, I moved fermenter to a considerably cooler location- it was 63 F in previous location

I would just take the lid off the bucket and just lay it on top. Your CO2 will escape, and with CO2 pushing out, you shouldn't have anything nasty entering your bucket.

+1^

Spray Starsan liberally underneath the rim area, as well as the top of the lid itself, before removing. Don't want any bugs dropping in there. I use a Starsan soaked washcloth for cleaning and soaking up the excess.

You could wrap some Starsaned Saran wrap around the edge.

I'm curious what your set up is - Ale Pail? Carboy? How much head space? I've been using an Ale Pail with just your basic bubbler on top and have never had an issue.

Is your bucket sized appropriately for your batch? Just a thought

I'm pretty sure it is- a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket. This is the first time it has happened, although it's the first use of a German ale yeast.

Is it A top cropping yeast like WYeast 3038 or WLP300? These are the same yeast and require a large head space. I'm sure there are others that have similar requirements.

I'm curious what your set up is - Ale Pail? Carboy? How much head space? I've been using an Ale Pail with just your basic bubbler on top and have never had an issue.

Ale pail with basic bubbler- Wort was about 5.5 gallons, should have been plenty headspace- or I thought

Is it A top cropping yeast like WYeast 3038 or WLP300? These are the same yeast and require a large head space. I'm sure there are others that have similar requirements.

It's Wyeast 1007 German ale- I realize at the original 63 degrees it's a little on the high side, but didn't think I would have blow off

I've seen a lid bulge beyond belief and then the bucket release huge amounts of CO2 through a 1/2" blow-off tube attached to the center stem of a 3-piece airlock. I had ground off the star shaped bottom of that airlock too. It was like a breathing animal. This was at 62°F and went on for hours. One of the best Porters I've had.

Quick hijack question: I just had the same thing happen. Obviously my yeast was under considerable pressure before the lid got blown off.
Did all that pressure, though temporary, cause the yeast to produce off flavors?

It was bubbling normally this morning and about 5 hours later I checked and the lid was blown off...

Quick hijack question: I just had the same thing happen. Obviously my yeast was under considerable pressure before the lid got blown off.
Did all that pressure, though temporary, cause the yeast to produce off flavors?

It was bubbling normally this morning and about 5 hours later I checked and the lid was blown off...

The pressure will not cause off flavors. The sudden increase in pressure is typically caused by to hot of fermentation, or a fermentor that is to small. Fermentation temperatures that are to warm, for the yeast strain, will cause off flavors.

Back