Blow off for Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpt222

Reaction score
Does anyone have a decent homemade solution to fitting a blow off tube to a Better Bottle? I see they have specially drilled stoppers now for the Better Bottle, but I need something RIGHT NOW!

I use an orange carboy cap with vinyl tubing over one of the outlets. Thus far no blow-off, but I'm good to go if a wild fermentation ever occurs.

Some people say the orange carboy caps don't seal well on BB's, but they seem to on mine.

You can also attach a piece of tubing over the lower piece of a three piece airlock. This has always worked for me.

Beerrific said:
You can also attach a piece of tubing over the lower piece of a three piece airlock. This has always worked for me.

+1 That's what I use and never had a problem... even with serious blow-off fermentations, though I remember wondering if it could withstand the pressure, but it alyways did.

Great suggestions guys. I have both an orange carboy cap (didn't realize I could get a tube into the larger hole, but I can). I have quite a few three piece airlocks too, so I guess I am good to go. Thanks all!!

With the orange carboy cap, i fit the orange 'nipple' part inside a larger-diameter tube.

why not this?

bbbot.jpg

I realise that it isn't a BB but that blowoff, (which incidently works like a champ) would work just as well wouldn't it? Just drop the bottom into a jug of sani and your golden

dpt222 said:
Does anyone have a decent homemade solution to fitting a blow off tube to a Better Bottle? I see they have specially drilled stoppers now for the Better Bottle, but I need something RIGHT NOW!

er...what exactly do you have at your disposal if grabbing a #10 bung is out of the question?

Back