Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My blood tea looked pinkish red, and almost gave the wort a slight pinkish color. Thats probably because I made a light hefe using white wheat. The finished beer looks hazy and straw colored, no sign of the oranges. Let us know how it turns out with eight oranges.

The "tea" looked like grapefruit juice.

The airlock smells fantastic. I found it interesting that even using double the number of oranges, it must have been fairly close to the amount desired as my SG was 1.051, only 0.001 higher than the number listed on the recipe on Page 2 of the thread.

I'm gonna do this one this weekend. Just to clarify things. Does the water used to steep the oranges get added also? I'm doing an AG batch so do I adjust for the added water after the boil? For a 5.25g batch, end boil with 4.75 and add 0.5 of the blood orange steep water (+ oranges) to equal 5.25?

Whats the consensus on adding the oranges to an all grain batch? Brew the beer as usual and add the oranges directly to the primary, or let fermentation wind down before racking over onto the oranges in a secondary?

Aah the blood oranges are brimming off the trees, and the frost has made them super sweet. Time to brew 10 gallons of this for spring, maybe 10 more for summer. Anyone know what to do with three trees worth of oranges? Not my trees but a coworkers, I get the pick if I want em, also 4 oro blanco trees and 3 navel trees. Up to our asses in citrus this year.

Whats the consensus on adding the oranges to an all grain batch? Brew the beer as usual and add the oranges directly to the primary, or let fermentation wind down before racking over onto the oranges in a secondary?

You'll find that if you add the oranges directly to the primary you won't retain much citrus flavor - much of it will be lifted away with the CO2. Throwing some of the peels (no pith) into the boil will add some as well as if you let it sit in the secondary.

You'll find that if you add the oranges directly to the primary you won't retain much citrus flavor - much of it will be lifted away with the CO2. Throwing some of the peels (no pith) into the boil will add some as well as if you let it sit in the secondary.

I have two blood oranges left from what I started with. Will adding those two in a sanitized grain bag give it a little flavor/nose or is that not enough orange?

I only added mine to the secondary. Im not sure if the citrus is going to be super strong after the boil and the vigorous fermentation

I have two blood oranges left from what I started with. Will adding those two in a sanitized grain bag give it a little flavor/nose or is that not enough orange?

It shouldn't hurt and would impart some flavor/nose, I imagine the brew will be a good and tasty wheat regardless. I might have been a bit pessimistic saying you would'nt get too much flavor from the oranges in the primary as it depends on the amount of oranges to start with and temperature anyhow.

should turn out good!

I kegged 5 of 10 gallons this past weekend and took a pull last night just for grins. I used 4 blood oranges for 5 gallons. I zested and cut the fruit up and put them in 160 degree water for short period of time. I did not add the water to the carboy from steeping the fruit. I put the zest and fruit in a secondary which was transferred from the primary after about a week. The nose definitely has a citrus/orange presence. The initial taste definitely has orange in it and carries all the way through. Once the carbonation is up to the correct level, I anticipate this beer to be very good. I'll post picts soon of the whole process. This is the first beer I did using RO water and built the water up for this recipe.

I only added mine to the secondary. Im not sure if the citrus is going to be super strong after the boil and the vigorous fermentation

Has anyone been boiling the fruit/zest?

It shouldn't hurt and would impart some flavor/nose, I imagine the brew will be a good and tasty wheat regardless. I might have been a bit pessimistic saying you would'nt get too much flavor from the oranges in the primary as it depends on the amount of oranges to start with and temperature anyhow.

should turn out good!

Well, using the recipe on page two of the thread, but 8 oranges and 6 zests since my oranges were small(ish), my OG came up only .001 above what was listed on that post. Fermentation temps have been between 68-72*F with WLP320.

I kegged 5 of 10 gallons this past weekend and took a pull last night just for grins. I used 4 blood oranges for 5 gallons. I zested and cut the fruit up and put them in 160 degree water for short period of time. I did not add the water to the carboy from steeping the fruit. I put the zest and fruit in a secondary which was transferred from the primary after about a week. The nose definitely has a citrus/orange presence. The initial taste definitely has orange in it and carries all the way through. Once the carbonation is up to the correct level, I anticipate this beer to be very good. I'll post picts soon of the whole process. This is the first beer I did using RO water and built the water up for this recipe.

What's the point of steeping the fruit and zest and not using that water? Isn't the point to draw out some of the essential oils from the zests as well as juice and color from the fruit to add to the beer? Obviously sanitation is a concern when dumping fruit into your wort from the grocery store or market, but why would you steep flavors out of the fruit/zests and then pour that down the drain?

So I did this as my first all grain batch yesterday. I used 5 lbs 2 row, 3 German Wheat, and 6 oz rice hulls. I was about 2 degrees under my target mash temp and had a bit of a boil over (new to the turkey fryer game). BeerSmith said I should get a 1.049 OG (75% brewhouse efficiency) but I only achieved 1.038. So I have a bit to work on for my next all grain batch next week.

Happy brewing!

So what would be the outcome if you inverted the hops? Because thats what I did on accident. I did saaz in the beginning and at the end with halletauer at the 20 min mark.

Just finished brewing off a 3 gallon batch.. My kitchen smells AWESOME! This should be pretty interesting, I could not find blood oranges in my area so I went with clementines. I didn't have Halletauer available to me so I subbed with Perle (I read this is a suitable sub). I also included a small dry hop bag with with some left over saaz in the fermenter (a VERY small amount) to accompany the grain bag with the oranges.

Even though I couldn't follow dead on, I feel confident that this beer is going to come out good. This was my first "real" brewing session so I'm feeling quite proud right now. After taking my OG reading, I sipped the wort used. It had a good flavor and aroma to it; tasted like potential.

I missed the proposed OG on this one by a tad, 1.046 instead of 1.050. That shouldn't cause to much damage should it? Am I facing a slightly lower ABV outcome?

Just finished brewing off a 3 gallon batch.. My kitchen smells AWESOME! This should be pretty interesting, I could not find blood oranges in my area so I went with clementines. I didn't have Halletauer available to me so I subbed with Perle (I read this is a suitable sub). I also included a small dry hop bag with with some left over saaz in the fermenter (a VERY small amount) to accompany the grain bag with the oranges.

Even though I couldn't follow dead on, I feel confident that this beer is going to come out good. This was my first "real" brewing session so I'm feeling quite proud right now. After taking my OG reading, I sipped the wort used. It had a good flavor and aroma to it; tasted like potential.

I missed the proposed OG on this one by a tad, 1.046 instead of 1.050. That shouldn't cause to much damage should it? Am I facing a slightly lower ABV outcome?

A couple points will be fine. Remember, just relax and it what matters most is that you like the beer and enjoy brewing it, not that you hit the exact OG/FG. It's about making beer you like.

I used a different yeast because my wife prefers lower levels of the banana and cloves you get from a WLP300 or 380, so I tried WLP320 and I used 8 oranges and 6 zest because she really likes citrus.

Enjoy.

Brewed a 5 gallon batch last night. Currently its fermenting nicely away in the carboy. I decided to not use a hop bag and instead dumped the fruit and fruit tea right into the fermenter.

steven b~

jtkratzer said:
A couple points will be fine. Remember, just relax and it what matters most is that you like the beer and enjoy brewing it, not that you hit the exact OG/FG. It's about making beer you like.

I used a different yeast because my wife prefers lower levels of the banana and cloves you get from a WLP300 or 380, so I tried WLP320 and I used 8 oranges and 6 zest because she really likes citrus.

Enjoy.

Cool, that makes me feel better and I did have a blast brewing this off so I guess it's win win :) Fermentation couldnt possibly finish fast enough.. Go yeast go!

Go packers!

So what would be the outcome if you inverted the hops? Because thats what I did on accident. I did saaz in the beginning and at the end with halletauer at the 20 min mark.

First off, you're obviously going to get more of the Saaz profile than Hallertau. Second, depending on the AA%, your IBUs will be different. In the end, who cares? If you like the beer, it doesn't matter. Make it again the way the rceipe calls for it and see which one you like better. This is a very lightly hopped beer and I doubt it will make a huge difference.

Thats what I figured I just am hoping it doesnt taste off I will be doing another one next week with the correct hops this time. Thanks for helping me out.

I am planning on brewing this on Saturday. I purchased the honey hefe kit from northern brewer. I was planning on substituting the honey that came with the kit with a raw orange blossom honey and adding orange peels. After seeing this recipe, I want to do this instead. Is it ok to add 1lb honey to this recipe?

just saw this thread. looks interesting. My Morro Blood Orange tree is loaded with ripe fruit right now. i'll have to give this a try

I pitched this one on 30 Jan and had signs of activity within a few hours. I know the airlock isn't an end all/be all sign of fermentation activity, but it's been 10 days and there's still stuff going on in there. I'm not going to be around this weekend, so hopefully it finishes up over the next four days and I can bottle on Sunday or early next week.

I have a Belgian Honey Wit on the same time line.

My CO2 release has been going bonkers since I put this in the basement to ferment last Saturday..

Dying to try it; may be time for a gravity reading today, and a BIG sniff.

Took the gravity reading (132hrs in primary), couldn't help myself. Text book. Took the sniff test. Smelled amazing. I just HAD to sample my, well sample. Awesome! This is a great recipe and will be around my house quite a bit this summer; I can already tell. I can't wait to bottle it...

If only home brewers had the capability to can their own beers; I'd much rather bring a batch of this on a float trip this summer.

I'm 16 days into fermentation on this and it's still showing signs of fermentation activity. Anyone else experiencing what seems to be a longer than normal wheat fermentation with this one?

I was hoping to bottle within that 10 day time frame listed on the recipe.

jtkratzer said:
I'm 16 days into fermentation on this and it's still showing signs of fermentation activity. Anyone else experiencing what seems to be a longer than normal wheat fermentation with this one?

Same thing is happening to mine, but I'm at day 22 and bubbling just a little- about every 15 seconds

Same thing is happening to mine, but I'm at day 22 and bubbling just a little- about every 15 seconds

*Sigh*...I guess I'll just have to wait longer. I was it would be finished any day now. I'll probably check the gravity on it whenever I get around to bottling the Hop Devil this week.

Mine was kegged and i was drinking it 10 days after brewing. Take a gravity reading. This is a low gravity beer, so it should finish quick. Mine was down to 1.009 in 4 days. I used WLP351 with a 1L starter.

Just finished brewing a batch today used 6.6 lbs weizen extract 1pm wheat steeped for 30 mins at 158 to 150 2oz of hallertau hops and 1oz tettnanf hops. Used zest and fruit of 4 blood orAnges steeped at 160 in bag. Added to primary. Used white labs wlp300. Very excited

Ok so I brewed this on Feb 6th.

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

Airlock activity has stopped and the recipe says it should be done in 10 days.
At this point I haven touched it since the Krausen hasn't fallen.
Is it because its hung up on the floating fruit?
If I pull a SG that is close to the FG is it cool to poke through and siphon it to the keg?

I have a Belgian Honey Wit that looks very similar...the krausen just won't go away. There's nothing else in there with it like there is with the Blood Orange. I'm going to check the gravity on both tomorrow.

I'm interested to see the responses. I've never opened a beer up for bottling and found krausen.

I had to sanitize a spoon, and gently stir the krausen and oranges around a bit, otherwise, the krausen will just stay there.

I'm now drinking a version of this beer and these are my thoughts:

60% - domestic 2-row
40% - malted wheat
OG - 1.046
FG - 1.010
ABV - 4.7%
Wyeast 3068
1 oz Hallertauer for 30 minutes
1 oz Tettnang for 5 minutes

Used a zester to get the rind of all 4 blood oranges. Boiled some water then turned off the heat. Put oranges (minus piths) and rinds in the hot water to steep for 30 minutes, and added the entire contents to primary. Fermented for eight days at 71F (I like the banana flavors) then bottled. I found it to be excellent after only 18 days.

At first, the flavor seemed to have a somewhat harsh bitter orange flavor, but that went away quickly, and left a very noticeable orange finish to the beer that combined with the dryness, is very pleasant. It is kind of complex in the way that I first taste the banana flavor from fermentation which then morphs into citrus orange and finishes refreshingly dry.

I also found that the beer is best consumed with a rather clean palate. Just as I find orange juice to be disgusting after eating pancakes with syrup or brushing with minty toothpaste, the beer also has this property to a lesser degree.

Ok so I brewed this on Feb 6th.
*snip
*snip
Airlock activity has stopped and the recipe says it should be done in 10 days.
At this point I haven touched it since the Krausen hasn't fallen.
Is it because its hung up on the floating fruit?
If I pull a SG that is close to the FG is it cool to poke through and siphon it to the keg?

Per my hydrometer readings, my Orange Hefe stopped activity around day 7 but I to had a lot of excess krausen still, mostly around the grain bag and the hop bag (I included my remaining Saaz in the primary). I pulled the bags out and racked to the bottling bucket on day 10 through a large serrated funnel / hose; seemed to work pretty well. The end product is looking good so far (popping my first one open tonight).

So i had to go out of town and my fruit fermented for 13 days im kegging it and its my first time kegging but it does not really have any resemblance of a hefe and is pretty bitter. What could that be?

Back