Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same one from the book with a few adjustments. Talk about violent fermentation!

ForumRunner_20110316_172138.jpg

ForumRunner_20110316_172346.jpg

I see where people are kegging/bottling this after only 12 - 14 days from brewing. I know how I should gauge this based on three days of steady hydrometer readings; however, I do not have three days. I would like to bottle now so the brew is ready for a party next Saturday. I brewed this on March 8th, 10 days ago; specific gravity (today, first reading) is at 1.012. Thoughts?

My first batch of Orange Hefe I bottled after 10 days and had a couple opened 7 days after that, they tasted great, the 3 others who sampled thought so as well (though the taste improved over the following 2 weeks). I'd say take a reading tomorrow, if it's consistent, bottle it up!

Hey, I am making this recipe right now and I just realized something.

Are you guys adding the water you steep the oranges in to the wort or is this just for sanitizing the oranges?

quick answer would be much appreciated!

Hoppin_Mad said:

Are you guys adding the water you steep the oranges in to the wort or is this just for sanitizing the oranges?

I added the tea from steeping the oranges and zest. I wanted all the orange flavor I could get.

Thought I would post some pictures of the Honey Tangerine version of this I brewed on the 5th, I bottled it on the 19th and ooooooh boy am I excited for the end of the month; can't wait to tear into this batch:

2011-03-19143116.jpg

2011-03-19143429.jpg

2011-03-19143447.jpg

2011-03-19145826.jpg

Has a great color and aroma, finished just at 1.010 (hydro was stuck up against the tube in the picture but it balanced out at 1.010 just before).

Yahoo for another good batch of beer based off this recipe! :ban:

Hoppin_Mad said:

I just boiled mine with a half gallon of water zest and pulp. Cooled and added it.

ForumRunner_20110323_140227.jpg

After taking the advice here, bottled this on Sunday and opened the first one last night. Absolutely delicious, and decent carbonation for such a short time. My only regret is that I have this one committed to a dog walk/fundraiser today, as the selfish side wants it all to myself!

yeehaw!

Just pulled a sample of this after a week in ferment. Has to be the best tasting hydro sample I have had on a brew yet! I stepped up the oranges a little from the recipe and the citrus smell is perfect with an awesome citrusy finish. Just has a great smooth flavor all around. I am super stoked to bottle this one. My SG was 1.015 which seems a tad high - but it tastes fantastic so whatever!

Jsmith82 said:
Thought I would post some pictures of the Honey Tangerine version of this I brewed on the 5th, I bottled it on the 19th and ooooooh boy am I excited for the end of the month; can't wait to tear into this batch:

Has a great color and aroma, finished just at 1.010 (hydro was stuck up against the tube in the picture but it balanced out at 1.010 just before).

Yahoo for another good batch of beer based off this recipe! :ban:

Ever put your hydrometer in your base water and take a reading. I discovered mine is 4 pts too high! I constantly have to remember not only to adjust my reading for temps, but also subtract 4 every time!

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

Since I am not a fan of hefeweizen yeast (clovey bananas), I did an American wheat version yesterday.

5 lbs 2-row
5lbs wheat malt

0.25 oz perle 60 min
0.5 oz kent goldings 60 min
0.5 oz kent goldings 5 min
0.5 oz willamette 5 min

Wlp 060 american ale blend - starter

9 smallish blood oranges - zested and removed pith, brought to near boil with enough water to cover, added to bottom of fermenter before wort went in.

already vigorously fermenting within 8 hours

100_0025.jpg

100_0026.jpg

After a week of fermentation I added my oranges! Second batch should be ready to be kegged soon!

I'd like to hear how your two batches compare in terms of orange flavor. My first batch I added them at pitching and I am making another bath next weekend and thinking about adding the oranges after ferment. Either I really enjoy this recipe!

Ever put your hydrometer in your base water and take a reading. I discovered mine is 4 pts too high! I constantly have to remember not only to adjust my reading for temps, but also subtract 4 every time!

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

Yes, I did a base water reading the day I bought it, it reads just a hair heavy, overall pretty accurate though, temp at the time of the picture was just a tad under 71 degrees.

I popped one of these open Saturday, MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm....... :D

I fly to Vegas on 4/8, back on the 12th. Have a feeling this beer is REALLY going to be amazing upon our return.

Reaction with the Paws and Pints picnic Saturday was extremely positive! Here is a pour after 8 days of bottle conditioning; needs more time to develop a creamy head but the taste is most excellent!

bloodorangehefefirstpour.jpg

just bottled this 2 days ago and tried one last night impatently. and as i can tell it needs more time (duh...) it'll be rather amazing! i was in heaven without much carbonation

It says to bottle condition for 4 weeks. I just tried one after 2, and it had great head with great head retention, and it tasted great. I don't think I can wait another 2 weeks to see how it turns out.

I wanna brew this so badly now. I tried a brew similar to this... But I think I made some mistakes. I put the zest right into the boil.

It's still fermenting now... Depending on what the taste/smell is in a few days I may decide to try add the orange mixture to the secondary.

I just bottled 5 gallons of this on sunday, ill post some pictures when I crack the first one. Sample from bottling was fairly spicy at the end due to weird weather giving me high fermentation temps, but had a nice orange start

Bottled this last night. Question for those that have bottled it. Did you age it for the typical minimum 3 weeks at ~70º?

@ Acoma

From my experience with this brew, my first batch I started opening after 1 week b/c I was impatient and though they all tasted good, the last 22oz I cracked was amazing, that was over 3 weeks in the bottle at 70. Working through my second batch of bottles with this now and one thing I have noticed between the two, this beer carbed EXTREMELY well, and quickly for me both times (Though I'm waiting to drink the majority of this batch till after the 12th, I had one last weekend and no doubt will have 1 or 2 this weekend).

So a wee bit of patience with this beer will prove itself in the end, but it tastes good fresh as well, just not AS good. I recommend you have 1 or 2 to scratch the itch, then have some other craft beer and keep telling yourself how amazing it will be by mid April.

I was gonna make a wit this weekend with orange zest, I think I might try this instead.

Well here is my pint, it's only been a week to carb but it's not too bad for only a week. Alot of bananas and cloves in the taste due to higher than ideal fermenting temperatures and not really any orange there. But it looks great and tastes good, if you don't mind the banana and clove that is, haha

ForumRunner_20110403_232319.jpg

Well here is my pint, it's only been a week to carb but it's not too bad for only a week. Alot of bananas and cloves in the taste due to higher than ideal fermenting temperatures and not really any orange there. But it looks great and tastes good, if you don't mind the banana and clove that is, haha

when did you add the orange. I added mine a week after fermentation and its perfect

I have been obsessing that I didnt add enough oranges. So after about the first 15 hrs (where I was having very active fermentation), I added two more oranges. Fermentation continued and I just check again this AM - it looks like fermentation has pretty much stopped. So dumb question, by adding oranges 15 hrs in, during heavy fermentation, this would not have slowed or impacted fermentation on anyway, right? Things should be fine?

Let me also add to the prior post that I checked again 30hrs into fermentation and it seems very quiet

For what it is worth, I used six instead of the four in the original recipe. The reaction has been excellent; but what took it from excellent to "outstanding" is the way it is poured. I was pouring like my other bottle conditioned beers, being very careful not to disturb the muck at the bottom of the bottle.

This is, of course, not how a traditional Hefe should be poured. Yesterday, at the homebrew club, using the traditional method of decanting 2/3rs and then giving the bottle a swirl before pouring the rest, I kicked up all of the sediment and yeast. It was an entirely different beer! There must be tiny bits of the orange zest mixed in with the yeast, as the hefe-yeast flavor was suddenly there with a very strong orange taste. This balanced the banana/clove really well.

I steeped 4 of them, both flesh and zest and added the fruit and tea to the fermenter, and poured the wort over that to mix it up. So next time it will be put in after a few days of fermenting

How would adding a couple pounds of honey and/or a 1/2 pound of honey malt effect this beer?

How would adding a couple pounds of honey and/or a 1/2 pound of honey malt effect this beer?

Make it even more delicious!

I enhance the original extract recipe a bit. I did a partial mash with one pound of Weyermann Dark Wheat and one pound of Briess Carapills, and added a pound of brown sugar to the boil. I know it gave it a darker color (see the pic I posted a couple of pages ago), enhanced the flavor profile, and boosted the OG to 1.066. I had a FG of 1.012, making a nice, warming 7.2% ABV hefe. :ban:

Make it even more delicious!

I enhance the original extract recipe a bit. I did a partial mash with one pound of Weyermann Dark Wheat and one pound of Briess Carapills, and added a pound of brown sugar to the boil. I know it gave it a darker color (see the pic I posted a couple of pages ago), enhanced the flavor profile, and boosted the OG to 1.066. I had a FG of 1.012, making a nice, warming 7.2% ABV hefe. :ban:

That seems like a LOT of additions. Does this change the mouthfeel any? I've never added brown sugar to a brew- what effect does that have?

"Brown Sugar imparts a rich, sweet flavor and is used in Scottish ales, old ales and holiday beers." - from a site on adjuncts. It is used in many brews, the Lagunitas Brown Suggah' is one of my seasonal favorites. I think (according to Palmer's book) you are safe if you keep the adjunct sugars to 20% or less of the total fermentables. The one pound I added contributed 10%. As for the grains, the wheat and carapils are in tune with the style. Mouthfeel was much like a traditional German hefe; thick, yeasty, and the blood orange taste was at the end.

Back