Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you guys making a yeast starter for this brew? haven't used liquid yet but i think i will for this one. starter or no starter?

thanks

are you guys making a yeast starter for this brew? haven't used liquid yet but i think i will for this one. starter or no starter?

thanks

I did a 1 liter starter 24 hours before brew. Took off in 3 hours. I would make a starter.

Brewed this guy 8 days ago and am very excited. Wondering how much sediment you guys have had? I know-for hefes clarity isn't a big issue, but im wondering the effect of the fruit. I put my grated peel in a grain bag but the rest of the fruit was free floating. Worth racking to 2ndary or should i just bottle at 10 days if the gravity is good?

I'd just bottle. Mine was in the fermenter for ~15 days before I kegged. I just threw the fruit and zest right into the fermenter, and didn't have any problems.

Mine didn't have much orange taste...just a bit on the back end...but I just won 3rd place in a local home brew competition with this beer in a competition with 26 other entries!!

Thanks!!!

Brewed this up 5 weeks ago, the pulled it out for sampling during my last brew day. A friend had never had home brew or seen the process before and, well, he loved it. Needless to say we drank too much of it and now I will have to do another on up soon!

So, I was at a health food store with good produce yesterday and saw that they had blood oranges in - made me think of this thread.

I have a raspberry wheat extract kit from NB that I haven't brewed yet - I'm thinking of changing it up a bit. I don't want too much fake raspberry extract flavor, so I was thinking about using like 1/4 of the flavoring that came with the kit and supplementing with blood orange.

Thoughts?

So, I was at a health food store with good produce yesterday and saw that they had blood oranges in - made me think of this thread.

I have a raspberry wheat extract kit from NB that I haven't brewed yet - I'm thinking of changing it up a bit. I don't want too much fake raspberry extract flavor, so I was thinking about using like 1/4 of the flavoring that came with the kit and supplementing with blood orange.

Thoughts?

Hmm... can you dilute some of the raspberry extract with water and get back to us regarding how it tastes? Fresh raspberries vary a lot in flavour, as you probably know. If the extract makes for a tart raspberry flavour, then I would suggest against using it to supplement the blood orange hefe because the acid from the oranges make for a fairly tart beer to begin with.

Hmm... can you dilute some of the raspberry extract with water and get back to us regarding how it tastes? Fresh raspberries vary a lot in flavour, as you probably know. If the extract makes for a tart raspberry flavour, then I would suggest against using it to supplement the blood orange hefe because the acid from the oranges make for a fairly tart beer to begin with.

Yeah, I'll try it out and see what it tastes like. I'm going for subtlety with both of the flavors so I definitely don't want *too* much tartness.

Hey, I've seen most of you have all had this in primary for about 10 days before kegging/bottling. I brewed last Saturday so hoping to bottle early next week, but how long did you let the beer bottle condition before having a few? Since it's a hefe do you indulge sooner? Thanks!

Hey, I've seen most of you have all had this in primary for about 10 days before kegging/bottling. I brewed last Saturday so hoping to bottle early next week, but how long did you let the beer bottle condition before having a few? Since it's a hefe do you indulge sooner? Thanks!

Bottle conditioning is more about allowing the yeast to metabolize all of the priming sugar and waiting for the CO2 they've produced to dissolve back into the solution. Having said that, I don't drink any of my bottle conditioned beer before it has spent 14 days in the bottle at room temperature. Since hefeweizen yeast is usually pretty vigorous and you'll be bottling it so soon after it has finished fermenting... It could be drinkable after a week, although you may find it undercarbonated.

I've read that keeping the bottles warm and shaking them every couple of days can speed things up.

Only one way to find out!

hello.
Can i use lme wheat beer from Muntons (it is already hopped), add 1 kg of dme (light malt ) also from Muntons , whit this recipe? .
I am a newbie ... can also add some hops ? what kind?,or they will ruined the already hoppped lme?
batch size will be 23 L, full boil,

happy brewing

You can, and depending on how much hops it has in it will determine how bitter it comes out. You can add more hops to that if you want. Really, you need to read the label and tell us what IBU it says it is designed for, etc.

I used Munton's bulk LME from my LHBS. I used 7 lbs of it in a 5.5 gallon batch. Are you sure it's pre-hopped? Mine wasn't... It wasn't in a can, but instead a plastic ice cream type container with a lid in a refrigerator at the LHBS. I don't think Munton's prehops these...

I brewed this a week ago today. Just 3 short days away from bottling. I'm very much looking forward to tasting a sample before bottle conditioning.

I was only able to find very small blood oranges so I bought 6, added the zest from 5 and the fruit from all 6. The airlock exhaust smelled amazing.

Thanks for sharing the recipe OP. I'll be sure to update the thread with a pic of my pint once it's good to go!

Bottled my batch this evening, here are a couple of photos,

OG 1.044
FG 1.010

batch20-1.jpg

batch20-2.jpg

I am starting a batch tomorrow. Had to modify the ingredients. Using 1/2 LME and 1/2 DME. Yep. My LHBS only had one can of LME but suggested adding some grains to it to fill out the body some.

Started mine today.

Ingredients:
3.3 lbs Coopers wheat lme
2.5 lbs Muntons wheat dme
.5 lb grain (4 oz pils, 3 oz wheat, 1/2 oz oats, 1/2 oz acid malt)
1 oz Hallertau hops
1/2 oz Saaz hops
Wyeast 3638
Zest of 2 regular sized blood oranges
Meat of 4 regular sized blood oranges

SG was 1.048

Just did my second batch of this. It was a double (10 gal) batch and dear lord my bathroom smells so good right now. I needed blowoff tubes for each carboy due to the fruit additions. :rockin:

Hello everyone...first post here!...I'm thinking of doing this for my fourth batch ever and would be my first hefe...I was wondering what temp you all were fermenting at? Thanks!

Im about to order up the ingredients for this, but the LHBS only has 1kg bags of dried wheat extract. Would all 3 kg be to much for this beer, or just bump the alcohol up a little. And will a fully inflated smack pack be enough, or should I make a starter with some leftover pale DME.

Jim - It's to early for me to do the math but you don't need a starter for this beer. If you over pitch your yeast it won't give off as many of the wonderful flavors. Just use a smack pack, inflated or not and it will turn out just fine.

nspaldi0 - I've been running mine at around 68-70 degrees. I really love the clove and banana flavors this yeast produces at the higher end of it's range. If you have your process down it would not be a bad hefe to try for your first time. I think it's damn yummy.

Mine is sitting around 70 - 72 degrees. I think my yeast was older (manufactured in 11/09) but I read something about it having a 6 month shelf life.

i just did a variation with three 0.5oz cascade additions instead. i just bought two lbs of cascade so i figured why not. the blood oranges i got weren't the best. and i added in 6 oranges, all zest and meat. juiced two of them. i was trying to balance out the extra bitterness i added. also, decent white labs hefe starter. anyone have any idea how this one might turn out? fermenting like crazy and smelling grreat!

I have been wanting to do a Honey Orange Hefeweizen for a while now and came across this recipe and all the great reviews. How do you think it would turn out if I added 1/2 - 1lbs of honey malt? Or would I be better off just adding regular honey? Would I have to add more hops to counter this?

I love the light orange color everyone is getting. Would my honey addition screw with the color at all do you think?

Thanks!

I have been wanting to do a Honey Orange Hefeweizen for a while now and came across this recipe and all the great reviews. How do you think it would turn out if I added 1/2 - 1lbs of honey malt? Or would I be better off just adding regular honey? Would I have to add more hops to counter this?

I love the light orange color everyone is getting. Would my honey addition screw with the color at all do you think?

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to steep 1/4 lb. of honey malt (possibly less) and leave the hopping regiment alone. When I made it the first time it wasn't overly sweet and I don't think a 1/4 of HM would push it over the edge.

It's better to use less than more and go from there.

My suggestion would be to steep 1/4 lb. of honey malt (possibly less) and leave the hopping regiment alone. When I made it the first time it wasn't overly sweet and I don't think a 1/4 of HM would push it over the edge.

It's better to use less than more and go from there.

would the honey malt addition change the color that much? Id hate for it to lose that rich orange color?

If it wasnt too sweet before would it be a good idea to also add some regular honey do you think?

what would adding a additional 1/2 oz of sazz hops at 0 minutes do to this beer? any thoughts?

I can't imagine that it would be a bad thing. It might just take the nose of the beer out of style, no big deal. (I know how you feel, I have .5oz os Saaz sitting in my refrigerator now) :)

Curt

Just brewed this to tonight!!! Pretty excited about it!!! I think mine will be darker than gnedge's...don't know how he got that bright orange color...when I steeped my blood oranges and zest it was darker...anyone else have the same results? Everything else went well and hit the sg right on at 1.050!

While I don't remember my actual gravity readings for this brew, I know mine turned out a little lighter and a little high on the alcohol side as I used 7 lbs of wheat LME, instead of 6.6 lbs of LME. It's tasty and can be drank one of two ways, the traditional homebrew way which leaves the yeast in the bottle (and makes the beer a little more tart) OR my favorite, the way a HEFE was supposed to be drank; pour most of the beer into a glass and then swirl up the yeast and add that to the beer. MMMMMMMM....

I used 7 lbs on mine as well and yes mine was a lot darker than his. Much more of an dark orange color.

I was going to make this next weekend. Curious about the peels as well. Also, it looks like you used a grain bag for your rinds and pulp. How long did you leave it in the primary?

Back