Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just did a variation with three 0.5oz cascade additions instead. i just bought two lbs of cascade so i figured why not. the blood oranges i got weren't the best. and i added in 6 oranges, all zest and meat. juiced two of them. i was trying to balance out the extra bitterness i added. also, decent white labs hefe starter. anyone have any idea how this one might turn out? fermenting like crazy and smelling grreat!

max, how did yours turn out, i'm going to make one this weekend using cascades, too?

I love this recipe. Thanks to the op for posting! I can't find any more blood oranges, but I'm gonna try it again with valencias.

I just brewed this up...I accidentally used 1 oz. of Saaz hops instead of 1/2 oz. Oh well. I used 5 medium sized valencia oranges instead of blood oranges because I couldn't find them anywhere. Smells great so far. Can't wait to hook it up to my kegerator.

Me and a buddy both brewed this with navel oranges (blood was out of season) and we both find that there was little to no orange flavor/aroma. I want to brew this again but get more orange flavor, any tips?

Peel your oranges, just the outside, not the pith. Soak in a cup of rum in fridg in plastic container big enough to hold and shake it each day. Leave it there til bottling and add to the bottling solution.

brewed this on Friday (5/28). used
6.6 lbs Muntons Wheat LME
~2 oz cascade divided into 3 equal parts at 60,20,10
3 large navel oranges (zested 1/2 the peels and cut up all the meat)
steeped the orange and peels and dumped the steeping water into the fermenter.
used WLP380. made a 1L starter 24 hours.

looks good so far. SG was 1.049

Can't wait to try it, I'll post back in a couple of weeks.

Mine just finished carb'ing. I did the AG version with 5.1lbs pale malt and 3.2lbs wheat malt in a 5 gal batch. I used 6 clementines and fully zested them, yeast was Wyeast 3068.

I don't detect the oranges at all. There's a very very faint acidity and perhaps the faintest hint of orange, but you really have to know to look for it, and even then it could just be my wanting it to be there.

That said, I'm not so concerned about the orange issue... it tastes a little malty to me. I mashed between 152 and 149. The yeast flavor is great, but something's not quite right. Could it be too much barley and not enough wheat?

Has anyone left their oranges in the primary for several weeks... like 3?

I wanted to brew this tonight, but im headed out of town in 9 days and will gone for quite some time. I'm afraid the fruit will do something funky while im gone as my place creeps up to 82 degrees or so.

I wanted to brew this tonight, but im headed out of town in 9 days and will gone for quite some time. I'm afraid the fruit will do something funky while im gone as my place creeps up to 82 degrees or so.

mine was in there for about 2 1/2 weeks, it was fine.

Yep, left mine for 13 days, seemed fine. Not at that near of a tempurature though. Mine stayed steadily at 70-72 the whole time.

Mine sat on the oranges for 4 weeks. A little disappointed in the orange flavor as there really isn't any. I used valencia oranges. The oranges added some bitterness in the background but no flavor or aroma. I think all the flavor and aroma was driven off during fermentation. If I did this beer again I would either use blood oranges or an orange zest dry hopping. I don't think using blood oranges would make much difference.

Decided to give mine a try after a week of carbonation. A bit bitter. Thinking I didn't get quite enough of the orange white off of the orange's. I didn't think a little would matter, but now I think it does. The gf thought it was like a beer infused orange soda, but it smells and tasted to bitter for me. Anyone else had the bitter taste from the white? I know most of it should go, but I thought even a little wouldn't hurt. Appears I was wrong. My recipe was slightly different from the original in the thread, but it's still decent. Yea, decent :)

EDIT

I used Valencia's for mine as well. I definetly taste and smell the orange. Made mine with 3 lb's weizen dme and 3 lb's pale dme. I was in a hurry and thought I had bought two bags of weizen dme :)

brewed this on Friday (5/28). used
6.6 lbs Muntons Wheat LME
~2 oz cascade divided into 3 equal parts at 60,20,10
3 large navel oranges (zested 1/2 the peels and cut up all the meat)
steeped the orange and peels and dumped the steeping water into the fermenter.
used WLP380. made a 1L starter 24 hours.

looks good so far. SG was 1.049

Can't wait to try it, I'll post back in a couple of weeks.

I moved to keg today (6/6) so only 9 days in primary. I don't have room in the kegerator, so it will sit/age in the keg for another 5-7 days till I drink more room in the fridge. FG of 1.014 and the sample at room temp was delicious.

Mine sat on the oranges for 4 weeks. A little disappointed in the orange flavor as there really isn't any. I used valencia oranges. The oranges added some bitterness in the background but no flavor or aroma. I think all the flavor and aroma was driven off during fermentation. If I did this beer again I would either use blood oranges or an orange zest dry hopping. I don't think using blood oranges would make much difference.

That is exactly my experience as well. I was thinking on a redo I'd add the meat of the oranges to the primary and add all the zest to the secondary.

Fuzz,
I fermented at 68 degrees with mine, and I love the way it turned out. I used wyeast 3068, and when I do this again I'll stick with that temp; however Im still new to the hobby so you may want to listen to a more experienced brewer! Just my two cents! Good luck, and I think you will love this recipe if you enjoy a good hefe.

I brewed this a few weeks ago but put a slight twist on it. I liked the idea of the oranges in the primary, but I'm not a huge fan of the yeasty, clovey hef taste. So I decided to still make a wheat, but use Wyeast american wheat yeast so that it gave a cleaner profile. I also used cascade hops instead of german hops. It turned out to be absolutely stunning. I tapped the keg 4 days ago and I think it's nealy half empty. My neighbors got into it on sunday as well, it's been a hit with everyone who has tried it.
picture.php

I've got 5.5 gallons of this fermenting away at 69F, WLP300 & Navel Oranges. The smell in the fermentation chamber is great, Bananna & Oranges all the way! Now I have to kick my keg of House Red to make some room!

I moved to keg today (6/6) so only 9 days in primary. I don't have room in the kegerator, so it will sit/age in the keg for another 5-7 days till I drink more room in the fridge. FG of 1.014 and the sample at room temp was delicious.

moved to keg last thursday, 6/16. forced carb and drank 1 Friday night. a bit of a bite. i don't have the pallet to describe, but by saturday it had fully carbed and cooled and had mellowed a bit. i think maybe I drew out some yeast on that first pull. it is great now.
Also wanted to mention that there is barely any orange to it. If you want more than a slight HINT of orange, you better put more in it than I did. I personally don't like lemony or orangey beer, so it is perfect for me.

yeah thats what i fermented at. It turned out great. still needs a few more days carbing in the keg. But wow it is awesome

Im going to be brewing this up in the next few days, and I was thinking about using WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. I'm not a huge fan of big clove or bubble gum flavors and I don't want bananas to overshadow the oranges. Thoughts??

Edit- I wanted to add that I am concerned because I don't have a fermentation chamber and will probably end up using the swamp cooler method. But there is still the chance the fermenter could get warm if i'm not paying attention.

Keep the temperatures from getting too high and you will be good.

Alternatively, I bet this would come out as a great saison if you modified the grain bill a touch.

Im going to be brewing this up in the next few days, and I was thinking about using WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. I'm not a huge fan of big clove or bubble gum flavors and I don't want bananas to overshadow the oranges. Thoughts??

Edit- I wanted to add that I am concerned because I don't have a fermentation chamber and will probably end up using the swamp cooler method. But there is still the chance the fermenter could get warm if i'm not paying attention.

So how did your Hefe turn out? I'm gonna do this one as soon as Blood Orange come into season, which should be soon.

Jeff

Guess what!?!? Saw some Blood Oranges at the Central Market today while buying some blueberries for a mead.

Bout time to tee this one up!

Brewed this on Sept. 11th. We couldn't find blood oranges so we used valencia instead. I plan on bottling this weekend so that would be 4 weeks in the primary. I hope it tastes alright. How much priming sugar are people using in a 5 gal batch?

I've done 3/4cup priming sugar on my batches.

I've done 2 batches and used the same primary for each one, and now even after cleaning it out it still has a pretty strong citrus/orange smell to it. Can that affect other beers if I put them in? I wouldn't want any orange flavors to be infused into a stout I plan on brewing this weekend. Any thoughts?

OH NO! Went back to Central Market and they said the box I saw (which of course they are now sold out of) was a one time shipment they received from Chile and they don't expect anymore blood oranges until November! Ack. I bought all the ingredients and had planned on brewing this today.

Since no blood oranges, I'll have to put this one back in the queue till they are in season. Shifted to a Pumpkin Ale which should be good and fun to do too.

I used Tangelo oranges where are half orange/half grapefruit. It has been 10 days in my primary fermenter, and am thinking about moving it over to a secondary for another 10 days before bottling.

My entire spare bathroom smells so good - citrus orangey aroma hits you as you open the door. Fermenting at a steady 68 degrees. I am so excited about this beer!

Yaaay..they're back! This time they are Australian Blood Oranges. They look at little darker on the outside and maybe a tad larger than the Chilean ones.

Bought 8 and will get this going this week.

I am brewing 10 gallons of this beer as I type. Last year I did 5 gallons with Mexican Cara Cara oranges and it was a favorite. This year my wife found Australian blood oranges.

I loved this beer last year. I guess that's why I'm making 10 gallons!

Getting ready to brew this...wondering if anyone has used Wyeast 1010 American Wheat for this recipe...if so how did you like it?

Cheers

Bottled this one up last night. Hit the 1.010 Final Gravity target...started at 1.051.

Didn't appear quite as orange as other pics posted here but I'll let it carb in bottle for 3 weeks then sample and I'll post pics.

Tasted pretty good, excited for this to be ready!

Looks gorgeous! However I have not been able to find blood oranges since I was a kid. Did you find these at your local grocery store or a specialty fruit stand?

They're hard to find; usually only certain times of the year at places like Whole Foods and the like.

Brewed this earlier this year before blood oranges went out of season. This is one great beer. I'm glad blood oranges are back in season. That half orange/half grapefruit sounds great. Please let us know how that turns out! I might give that a try!

Latest posts

Back