Blonde Ale. Increasing malt flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, I am making a blonde ale and I want to increase its malt flavor without adding body to the beer and making it darker. I was thinking adding some weyerman MunichII for extra flavor. I think my base malt is a little plain. What do you think?

Why not try a bit of Maris Otter? You can get Crisp or Muntons fairly easily at brewshops. Lovibond rating (color) is about 3-3.5.
The Weyermann Munich II is comparable to domestic Munich 10L .... or you could mix Vienna and Munich 50/50. or Pilsner and Munich 50/50. The 50/50 mix would increase the malt perception, control the color, and still give you enough enzyme potential to convert and "dry" the beer.

Thank you for the reply, where I live it isn´t that easy to find that Maris otter. Do you think a specialty malt could add some malt flavor? if you do, what do you sugest?

You mentioned Weyermann.
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-brewing-malt-type-cologne

This one is a light Munich 3.5L, very much comparable to Maris Otter in color. Not sure if you could get it as I don't know what might be available to you. Like I said, you can mix lighter base malts 2:1 or 3:1 with the Munich you have available to compensate.

I don´t have that one available, but I could try the Vienna mix.

Keep blonde ale blonde. I personally love a blonde ale that captures some maltiness, but retains the lightest color possible. I would recommend avoiding any grains over 10*L. If you're base malt is 70-80% of your grain bill and you fill that remaining 20-30 with things like Rolled/Flaked Oats, some wheat, and/or some vienna and mash just over 150*F and you'll capture excellent body, mouthfeel, and maltiness while remaining a light refreshing ale.

Thank you for your sugestions, I really like the way you put it.

Hello, I am making a blonde ale and I want to increase its malt flavor without adding body to the beer and making it darker. I was thinking adding some weyerman MunichII for extra flavor. I think my base malt is a little plain. What do you think?
Are you more concerned with color or flavor? IMHO, tweak to get the flavor profile you're after then figure out if there are ways to do it with lighter malts. Whats your base malt anyway?

Are you more concerned with color or flavor? IMHO, tweak to get the flavor profile you're after then figure out if there are ways to do it with lighter malts. Whats your base malt anyway?
I am concerned with the flavor.

what yeast are you using?
i found that using a kolsch yeast brought out some of those subtle malt flavors over US-05.

you could also add some wheat to bring out the bread.

5-10% Munich 10L works well for a subtle toasty/malty boost without the sweetness that crystal brings. Also you can try subbing a larger portion of base malt for Vienna or Maris Otter, etc.

As for specialty malts, a bit of biscult or victory also works well for adding toasty. A small amount (2-3%) of aromatic or melanoidin is also good for a subtle malt boost.

Latest posts

Back