BLING BLING Electric HERMS Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a nylon hop bag melt to the bottom of the kettle when I was doing stove-top boils so I'd say yes.

Hey guys, for hops I normally use the 5 gallon paint strainer bag attached to a PVC coupling that I've seen on here before
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lil-sparky-tha-man-40738/index3.html#post618265

I think now that I have the electric element in, that the bag will be sitting against the element. Do you think it will melt on to it? I imagine water will always be flowing past it due to convection, but just wondering if you guys use a similar item and have had success or failure.

Can you adjust the height so that it doesn't sit that low?

I can, but since there will be at least 2 gallons, maybe 3 below the element I'd be worried about hop utilization. I may need to reconfigure how I filter out hops.

Pol,

Question about your gear motor...

Since you have been using it have you noticed any rust appearing from the shaft? I mounted mine last night onto a kettle lid and I am concerned about rust on the shaft after some time as it protrudes about an inch or two into the kettle.

I will have an o-ring between the motor and the top of the lid and I am wondering if I should clear coat the shaft before final assembly to prevent the possibility of a rust issue. You might not have this problem if your insulated lid contains the whole motor shaft but then again you might so I thought I would ask.

My motor shaft is up inside my lid... I actually disassembled the impeller last week after a brewing session when I was doing some detailed cleaning on everything and I have no rust problems thus far. It has been in that vessel now for almost 6 months and brewed on 7 times I think.

So far, no real issues with the rig. It has turned out to be pretty hands off. That being said... I dont see a problem with coating the shaft with an epoxy or a clear coat.

Isn't this the same cord you used conpewter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/30A-Ground-Faul...mdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools

Does it use a standard 4 prong range outlet? Kinda hard to tell in the picture, but it looks a little different. I just don't want to get this cord if it requires some odd ball $30 outlet. I already have a 4 prong range outlet on a 30A breaker in my garage for my welder, and would like to use it.

That's the same cord conpewter and I used. It's a 30A 4-wire (2 hots, neutral, GND) dryer plug on the end. The plug is a "14-30" plug.

See the McMaster catalog page 769 for plug types (non-locking).

Ranges are typically more (40A-50A) so they'd be "14-50".

Kal

Yep it is a 4 prong dryer plug, it is a beast! This thing looks small in the pictures but as Kal has mentioned (someplace) the GFCI part is 1ft long and the whole thing is really heavy gauge. The plug itself is nice, it has fingerholds/indentions to help pull it out of the socket.

Oh and the outlet was cheap, probably $7 or less. You could easily buy a range plug for it and cut off the plug that is currently on there. Since your outlet is wired for 30 amps that would be fine. If it is wired for 50 amps you'd want a different cord.

The good thing about dryer outlets is that they're SOOOO common that any place (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) has them for really cheap. About $7 for the cheap one if you want.

Kal

Hey Pol, where do you run the ground wire to on your electric HLT? I'm building a similar one in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler, and I'm trying to think of a good place to ground it. I'm trying to come up with a way to attach the ground wire to the metal hex shaped part of the hot water heater element.

Hey Pol, where do you run the ground wire to on your electric HLT? I'm building a similar one in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler, and I'm trying to think of a good place to ground it. I'm trying to come up with a way to attach the ground wire to the metal hex shaped part of the hot water heater element.

Mine is connected to the stand with one of those "slip" type wire connectors so that I can remove the HLT from the stand if I need to.

Well Pol I just read this WHOLE thread and not only do my eyes hurt, but my head is spinning trying to take in everything. Those things being said though, I am extremely pumped up about taking on a similiar type of project. I'll be purchasing 2 more shells to convert to a HLT and MLT then rigging everything up for ELECTRICITY! I'll be following the instructions on this thread very closely so I'd like to thank you in advance! PM me next time you are in Denver and the beer is on me!

BTW do you have your vids posted online?

I have two YouTube vids that show my system.

When I brew, it really is a complete pain in the arse to try to video it... so I decided not to. I generally take some pics and a couple small vids and make a little compilation at the end.

Unfortunately I am pretty selfish when it comes to brew day, it is really all about me and I dont like messing with too much extra stuff, video and such. That sorts saps the fun right out of it.

That's the same cord conpewter and I used. It's a 30A 4-wire (2 hots, neutral, GND) dryer plug on the end. The plug is a "14-30" plug.

See the McMaster catalog page 769 for plug types (non-locking).

Ranges are typically more (40A-50A) so they'd be "14-50".

Kal

OK, My outlet and Plug on my welder are using the 14-50 plugs. I'll probably just cut off the 14-30 off the Power cord and replace with a 14-50 rather than replace both the outlet and welder plug with a 14-30.

OK, My outlet and Plug on my welder are using the 14-50 plugs. I'll probably just cut off the 14-30 off the Power cord and replace with a 14-50 rather than replace both the outlet and welder plug with a 14-30.

If I understand correctly, you're oversizing the plugs. No issues with that. I ended up doing that with my kettle and HLT plugs (wanted L6-30 but couldn't find any on ebay so got L9-30 which is 600v instead of 300V IIRC).

Kal

P.S. Congrats to Pol as well! Was thumbing through BYO a couple of days ago too and thought: Geez that setup looks familar... ;)

Pol - what size SS Lock Nut did you use with your element? I thought I remembered reading 1" but I can't seem to find that anymore.

do I have it backwards? (and before you ask, I don't have any of the parts I need here yet, so I haven't gotten a first-hand look). I'm guessing from your response that the nut is on the inside then. :)

do I have it backwards? (and before you ask, I don't have any of the parts I need here yet, so I haven't gotten a first-hand look). I'm guessing from your response that the nut is on the inside then. :)

Element through the side or bottom, nut on the INSIDE to hold it IN. :D

next thing you'll be telling me not to run a test of the element in a dry empty keg!

DONT RUN IT DRY.

PLUG IT IN FIRST.

TIGHTEN ALL CONNECTIONS BEFORE ADDING WATER

I am messing with ya... I am the master and you are my pupil. It is like karate kid!

sensai, take a peek in my thread. If you can trim the parts list to my first box (hlt, pid controlled, controller turns on and off the element and a standard outlet for future stirrer motor, box has master on-off) I'd love to get someone who knows to make sure I get the right stuff. I figure that can fit in the same box you used (since it's less) and I'll end up with 3 boxes in the long run, which is fine with me and lets me do it bit-by-bit. I got some money today! burning a hole in my pocket.
I found a buddy with plenty of electrical experience who is sure he can help me build the box and set up the outlets in the garage. He's read the thread as well.

I will, but I am wasted right now... and have company coming over in a few.

OH, by the way I am having a son. Found out today... sweet huh?

I will, but I am wasted right now... and have company coming over in a few.

OH, by the way I am having a son. Found out today... sweet huh?

Congrats! That's definitely one reason to keep drinking! (I have a 2 and 5 year old which pretty much ensure I'll never stop brewing). ;)

Kal

that's great news! I know when I first saw the weener on the sonogram I was stoked. And my son gave me the treat of having his fist wrapped around it at the time, embarassing the sonogram tech and the wife, but making me cheer!
Notice my avatar, which is about a year old now. My kid is obsessed with anything brewing related. I can lay things on the floor and he seems to know what's for brewing and want to play with it. When he was a wee tot, I had him in a pack-n-play with me while I brewed and he'd sit and watch. :)

crack a home brew to celebrate for us! I'm going to go pour a porter and drink it in your honor!

Also, take your time. Wife put 2+2 together and realized that my impending trip for school is going to cost a lot and the thinking around the brewhaus is I should keep making beer till mid-summer with what I have before I upgrade to electric. :(
I figure that'll give me plenty of time to get the plans drawn up tight, and parts lists, links to where to buy, etc., so I can slam it out fast in the first week of July.

Congrats POL, looks like you'll have a brewing partner! Anyways, did you have to specially order your 30A 2-pole GFI breaker? I'm looking everywhere and cant find anything that's over 20A.

Congrats POL, looks like you'll have a brewing partner! Anyways, did you have to specially order your 30A 2-pole GFI breaker? I'm looking everywhere and cant find anything that's over 20A.

Nope, got it at the store.

I already have a brewing partner, HER name is Kayla, she will be a pro by the time that JUNIOR, yes... JUNIOR :D is old enough to brew.

UPGRADE:

HLT and MLT sight gauges and silicone hoses installed this weekend.
P1020416.JPG

Back