Blichmann Burner Legs - Odd Fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
So I recently bought my second HellFire burner and got the leg extensions again. After comparing it to my old one (which I bought in November 2016), I noticed that the legs are different. I always wondered why my heat shield on my first one wasn't flush, so I had to hammer the edge of the shield down to use it (see photo). I spoke to HomebrewSupply and they said I bought the original burner legs, as the HellFire legs weren't released yet when I got the first burner (had no idea). My question...Has anyone had adverse issues with using the old legs on a new HellFire? I imagine it's OK, I've been through a few brew sessions with them on, but just wanted to get the community's feedback.

View attachment 1489607710012.jpg

View attachment 1489607721689.jpg

View attachment 1489607734919.jpg

I see the differences as your picture indicates. I have one of each: My original Top Tier with leg extensions. There was a removable heat shield plate with a slot cut in it that protected the sight glass and valve. I also bought a new Hellfire with leg extensions and MoreBeer clearly stated the Hellfire did not use the old legs so I was careful to select the proper extensions. The heat shield on the Hellfire is different as you pictured, but if used with the correct legs, it fits w/o bending the shield. Blichmann makes a replacement heat shield for the Top Tier burner that also fits on the burner cover so I bought one to replace the cumbersome flat shield It came with. I also bought a new set of slotted bases for the old burner so they slide easily w/o removing the screws when changing kettle sizes.

When I have time tonight, I'll take a pic of both and post if you'd like. Let me know if you care to see. I don't think you'll have any structural issues from your setup, just seems cosmetic from having to bend that heat shield. Another difference is the slotted bases the kettle sits on is on different side of the legs depending if you have the old legs or new version. That's why the shield didn't fit.

Yeah I noticed that as well with the positioning of the holes. Just hate that I had to bend a perfectly good heat shield for it to work.

The older burner also sits higher against the kettle due to the orientation of the nuts and bolts attaching it to the legs. Flame is closer to the pot, but I guess there's no issue with that?

The older burner also sits higher against the kettle due to the orientation of the nuts and bolts attaching it to the legs. Flame is closer to the pot, but I guess there's no issue with that?

I wouldn't think that to be an issue since you are protecting your sight glass, valve and therm with the heat shield. With the burner on Hellfire mode the flames do come up the side of the pot some, but honestly, I don't run mine as wide open as it will go anyway. If that bent shield bothers you, it can be replaced with a shield now being produced for the older styled Top Tier. It should work fine since it compensates for the leg spacing and the leg orientation which is actually what you are dealing with since your legs are Top Tier extension legs. I paid $10 for my shield ordered direct from the Blichmann website. They sell all kinds of parts consumer direct, just not the complete kettles or burners unless they are scratch and dent items.

Back