Blichmann Beer Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvcorliss

Reaction score
Sorry for the repost. The server was having issues when I first tried. Apparently it posted while I was rewritting.

I just got a Blichmann Beer Gun and I have a quick question. I'm planning on kegging and carbonating, then bottling as needed. How many bottles do you typically fill before capping them? Do you stop and cap after each bottle? I guess I'm not sure how quickly the carbonation in the beer will drop a noticeable amount.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
I just got a Blichmann Beer Gun and I have a quick question. I'm planning on kegging and carbonating, then bottling as needed. How many bottles do you typically fill before capping them? Do you stop and cap after each bottle? I guess I'm not sure how quickly the carbonation in the beer will drop a noticeable amount.

Thanks
Michael

Here is something that was discussed in another thread that you might benefit from once you get up and running. It can be tricky and no one really offers up this information. Always cap after each bottle.

"
Just get 25 feet of beer line to run the bottle filler. If you do, DO NOT release the pressure on the keg, and DO NOT turn your co2 pressure way down. I fill bottles this way and have great results. Get the long line, coil it up and zip tie it, enjoy bottling from kegs.

I came to this solution by applying line length balancing concept, then extended it a little more.

Yeah I started with 10 ft, then got fed up with it and thought I'd try the ridiculously long line. It worked. I have bottled carbonated beer from kegs set at 14 - 16 psi with minimal foam and lasting carbonation in capped bottles. You really have to resist the temptation to "purge" the keg or drop the pressure. If you don't resist that urge, as soon as you change the pressure (releasing it or lowering it), the beer in keg will start foaming up due to off gassing.

A good way to tell how the bottle is going to fill is by filling a pint glass with the filler. You should get less foam than you do when filling a glass from the faucet."

I fill one at a time then immediately cap. It's helpful, but not absolutely critical to have a "Cap Man" so it goes faster. Just be sure to have a sanitized bowl/tub or "holster" to set the gun down while you're capping (if you're capping solo). It's also helpful to chill the bottles for an hour or two after sanitizing. I usually put them inside their case with a little piece of sanitized foil or sanitized crown cap over the spout and either set them outside (winter) or in my kegerator (space permitting).

Read/follow the directions, don't drink too much during the process and you should be fine. It' takes a little practice.

It depends on how many I am bottling total. If I am doing a case I'll fill all 24 then cap. Use cold bottles and it will keep enough carbonation to last the 20 minutes it takes to fill them all.

I bet I have bottled over 2000 bottles with my beer gun..I purge the bottle with a hit of Co2, fill and immediately cap. I dont do the co2 purge at the top/headspace like some do..the CO2 at the time the bottle is filled has already done that for me so its not needed imho.

I DO immediately cap the bottle post fill to minimize any oxygen introduction into the headspace and I have never had an issue with any of my beers carb wise or quality wise.

My Blichmann beer gun is one of my breweries most used tools when I need to clear keg space.
:mug:

Thanks everyone. Lots of help here!
And thanks to the Mods for moving this to the right forum.

Michael

Back