Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So I am considering making two home brews that I could ultimately blend together. I'm having a hard time coming up with two styles that would go well together and what ratio to use. If anyone has any experience with blending or any ideas I'd love to hear it.

I've made a black and tan in the keg before. Can't quite remember the ratio, but I sampled a lot of 'test pours' in a measuring cup. Then just used that same ratio in the keg. Oh, and I also kegged and carbed each beer first. Then, I simply pushed the ratio I wanted into a new keg. That way I had three beers!

I don't have much personal experience, but I did save an acetaldehyde-y beer and a fairly undrinkable hop test batch by blending them to create a fairly enjoyable pale ale.

Anyway, this is a pretty solid resource with good tips and some ideas to try.
The Art of Blending Beer

A black and tan is one of my favorites.

But you can also make three different beers from two, which I like to do.

Take two components like an IPA and Stout or a Belgian and English Style, blend part of them, but keep the individuals. That way you get three beers out of two.

Aaron

Back