blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm thinking of blending a couple of already carbed kegs together and I'm wondering if I just pushed the brew from 1 keg to the other if there would be any issues with foaming?

Pressurize both kegs equally; run a jumper hose from the out to out connection. Disconnect the gas on the receiving keg, and then pull the release valve and bleed the beer over (while keeping source keg under pressure).

:mug:

The only foam will be when the source keg is almost empty. Other then that, as long as your lines are sealed, no leaks, you should have no worries what-so-ever. Hope it works out well for you!

I do this all the time when I filter beer. You should have no problems especially of the beers are cold.

Leave the release out till the beer is near the top then close it off. The pressure from the other keg will be greater than the receiving keg. Once done, pressurize and pull the release once or twice to purge any o2.

I hook up 2 hoses.Set both kegs to 5psi, then hook up hoses, Gas to gas, beer to beer. Place source keg above recieving keg, then release pressure relief valve on recipient keg just until beer starts flowing , then let go. I read it somewhere and have done it this way ever since. Supposedly this keeps both keg at an equilized pressure and prevent foaming. If beer is cold you can tell where the beer leve is by the condensation on side of keg.

Denny do you do all of your filtering with carbonated beer?

Mostly. And yes you can filter carbed beer. Breweries do it all the time.

I can filter straight from the carboy with my pump but I don't have room for cold storage of my large carboys. If the beer is chilled and with the right filters you can get rid of chill haze.

Also, CO2 will push the last liter or so of beer out of the filters, where my march pump loses pressure as soon as the intake runs dry.

Filtering carbed or uncarbed. There is no difference.

Like wine, beer really does need a few days to recover from the "shock" of filtering.

Back