Blending yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
Ok I know someone out there has done this before. What has been your experience and what did you blend?

I blended Wyeast Oktoberfest Blend and W34/70 due to a low cell count issue in a lager. Not the best, but not bad either. I would probably just pitch W34/70 in the future.

Unless you're talking about sours... that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I always blend if it's sour.

I did it a few years back for a wee heavy, weaker strand in primary (low alc tolerance) and a stronger strand to finish it off in seconday to drop FG and raise ABV, I'd have to dig through the archives to get strand info, worked out for me though, I'm sure I could have done it by making a proper starter with the stronger strain.

What are your goals with the yeast blending?
Flavor imparted by yeast?
ABV & FG?

I'm sure a lot of people have blended WY3724 and WY3711; you know, when the 3724 poops out completely they use 3711 to dry it out.

What are you hoping to achieve out of blending? If it's just added complexity you can pitch both at the same time. If you want yeast flavor of one with the higher attenuation of another pitch flavor yeast first and the higher attenuator second. In the Yeast book with C. White and Jamil they discuss the fact that brewers yeast do not kill or "out compete" each other when blended which seems to be a common myth floating around. It really depends on how you use them and how many of each.

I did a Tripel using 1214 and 3787. It was a simple recipe that I have brewed before using those yeast seperately. The mix had some of the flavor of both yeasts. I would do it again.

You can mix yeasts as long as the temp range for them is similar. Try it and see if you like the results.

Back