Blending with pasteurized apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frøydis

Reaction score
I have two batches of cider that need more flavour, and being a juice producer as well I have quite a lot of pasteurized apple juice from last year still. I have tried adding a little juice to the two ciders, and they do become quite nice with only a small percentage of juice added. Both have been sitting for too long before first racking, one spontaneous fermenting and one with EC-1118. Can I add pasteurized juice to the cider after sterile filtration using 0,2my plate filter and get a stable product? I plan to carbonate and bottle in champagne bottles.

OK, filtering cider down to .5 micron absolute will be a chore. You'll have to go through the larger size filters first to remove any trace of pectin. You'll lose a lot in the process. I would suggest stabilizing the cider with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite, then you can sweeten to any level you want without fear of refermentation. That's what I do when I keg my ciders.

Back