Blending Beers for Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
I'm looking to blend two finished beers into one final bottled beer for competition.
Beer #1 (Pumpkin Porter) is currently in a bottle, fully carbed.
Beer #2 (Brown Ale) is currently in a keg, fully carbed.

What are my options for blending the two beers into 3 bottles for competition.
I have my ratios figured out.

My theories are:

Slowly pour both beers into a bottling bucket. Bottle and cap quickly to keep CO2 in solution.

Slowly pour beers into a fresh keg, hit it with CO2, purge, let it settle, bring it back to the proper carbonation levels. Then bottle from the keg faucet.

Suggestions on the best method?

Never pour, ever. If you have to, you will oxidize the beer and by the time the competition happens the beer will taste terrible. If you pour a carbonated beer, it will foam like crazy and will be a problem.

Even siphoning a finished bottled beer will foam, but it might be possible to avoid too much oxidation if it's siphoned. I just don't know.

hmmm... I see one beer in the bottle already and one in a keg... How about siphon out the unwanted amount from the bottled beer, then top off what's left in the bottle with beer from the keg using a beergun-like setup?

I'm looking to blend two finished beers into one final bottled beer for competition.
Beer #1 (Pumpkin Porter) is currently in a bottle, fully carbed.
Beer #2 (Brown Ale) is currently in a keg, fully carbed.

What are my options for blending the two beers into 3 bottles for competition.
I have my ratios figured out.

My theories are:

Slowly pour both beers into a bottling bucket. Bottle and cap quickly to keep CO2 in solution.

Slowly pour beers into a fresh keg, hit it with CO2, purge, let it settle, bring it back to the proper carbonation levels. Then bottle from the keg faucet.

Suggestions on the best method?

Best way I have found is to get an empty two liter bottle and one of these. Pour the ratio of the beers you want into the 2-liter, squeeze air out, fill with CO2, shake and repeat until carbonated, gentle pour into bottle and cap on foam.

I believe this was on the Brew Strong episode about entering competitions and it works.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

Back