Blend of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscuderi

Reaction score
I've made a cream ale years ago with the white labs cream ale yeast and I was pleased with the results. I've since been using dry yeasts in most of my beers just due to the simplicity, value, and the fact that I have been very happy with all the results. Other than dry I do love the liquid pacman strain as well as an occasional Belgian specialty strain. The hybrid yeast of the cream ale got me thinking what if I was to brew a cream ale and combine saflager 34/70 with either pacman, safale 05, or even s-04 and Ferment at 60 degrees. I've done some digging in the forums about mixing yeast some believe you get both characteristics and others that believe one becomes dominant etc. I guess my goal is to recreate the effects of the cream ale yeast by either fully using dry yeast or by using a pacman yeast and over culturing it so I have some extra for future brews.

I've seen threads about temperatures not matching but I've never seen these threads mention these specific mixes. For instance I know 34/70 will rock away up to low 60s and pacman does especially well at low temps. Safale 4 does awesome at around 62 and I believe 5 does okay at 60 though a bit fruity.

Basically I love the idea of a ferment experiment but I'd also like to have good beer at the end cause I'm entirely to cheep to dump it if it turns out marginal and I will have it tying up a keg while I make myself drink the blunder that and I don't brew enough to dump it without crying about the low beer situation. So basically I'm going to turn to the beer experts to see if you think this is a good idea. I know the lager yeast will ferment sugars the ale yeast won't but does that work vise versa? Basically am I likely to see any benefit to having the ale yeast In there too? or am I better off keeping it simple and just trying the lager yeast alone?

To combat the dominance problem I figured I could tailor it to the yeast that is slower ie the lager yeast. My plan would be to capture some runnings brew day make a starter for the pacman (if pacman was the chosen ale yeast) finish wort and pitch lager yeast allow it to show signs of fermentation to start then pitch the ale yeast. If I used the dry maybe still wait and pitch half satchel with no starter obviously?

I know this is a really loaded question but what do you guys think it has anyone done this before!?

Thanks

Oh and I figured after a few days of 60 I'd stop cooling it and just let it ramp up toward 70 to clean up if that makes a difference in the response since the end temperature would favor the ale yeast.

Back