Blackberry Wine suggestions on varities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameadrat

Reaction score
About 10 years ago, a friend was on S0uth Bass Island at Lonz winery. A deck crashed, killing 1 or 2 people putting the winery out of business. My friend brought a bottle of Blackberry wine from that winery. I drank last January and it was really nice. I went out and bought some South american berries. Process was easier than grapes. My question is does anybody have experience with Blackberries . Should I go thornless as in Black Satin or are the thorn varieties better. Any suggestions would be helpful at this time. I normal do 15to 20 gallons of wine a year from California and Italian grapes.
Problem is they are getting expensive. Priced between $75 and $150. Although I got some at $40 this year. so at 10 to 20 a bush, it would lower my costs. I also do 24 fives of beer every year just so you know I'm serious brewer.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Have no idea, I just use the blackberries (w/ thorns) growing in my back yard and my in-laws' back yard....I consider myself a serious meadmaker, but....free berries can't be argued with, makes a great melomel

I normal do 15 to 20 gallons of wine a year from California and Italian grapes.
Problem is they are getting expensive. Priced between $75 and $150. Although I got some at $40 this year.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ameadrat,
Although I cannot help you with you blackberries, the prices for Californian grapes really depends on which varietal and vineyard that you get them from.
Where are you located? Where do you purchase your grapes?

You can get outstanding grapes from Lanza-Musto Vineyards, I purchased the best Sangiovese grapes from their vineyards, but that is just one of a long list of really amazing grapes from their vineyards.

I try to stay away from Lodi if at all possible, the grapes are really inexpensive but it shows in the quality of the wine.

I've purchased very nice grapes from Suisun Valley, Paso Robles, and Iron oaks as well, the quality was great and the price was very affordable.
You need to talk to your distributor or home brew shop if that is where you purchase the grapes, I have literally walked through the huge coolers at the distributors, checking out the fruit and tasting a few, also, the distributor might be a dollar more expensive but the grapes are clean and packed, not a ton of leaves and stems, this is well worth the cost. If you use juice buckets, their buckets actually contain 6 gallons, not 5 gallons like some of the home brew shops that have left the buckets out and they've started fermenting.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

I live in Toledo. there are 3 places I have purchased most get Regina juice and grapes. In Detroit is califonia grape supply. They also get shipments from Italy and Chile in April. However owner is rude and prices change with the owners mode swings. In Windsor, there is Borallas on erie st. Have not been there since they made the border miserable.

One of the things I was thinking about is mixing a little Blackberry in with my Sangiovesse I got sitting on French Oak. My other option would be to buy vines and grow my own grapes. since this area does have some vineyards. I'd love a distributor like yours but not around here.

i grow thornless blackberries in my backyard ( cant tell you what variety since i got the plants from my deceased father) and ive picked wild blackberries . my thornless actually have better flavor and get bigger berries than the wild. i just started making wine this year so havnt tried them for that. i am expanding my patch so that hopefully within the next 2-3 years i would produce enough for a good batch,

ameadrat,
Just a thought here - You can use different yeasts that will actually bring out the berry character of the grapes, ICV D254 comes to mind, the following was taken from the Scott Labs fermentation handbook:
In red wines, Lalvin ICV D254® develops ripe fruit, jam and cedar aromas together with mild spiciness. On the palate it contributes high fore-mouth volume, big mid-palate mouthfeel and intense fruit concentration. You will get Enhanced Varietal Character and increased mouthfeel.
You can always perform a few bench trials when the Sangiovese has aged with various levels of blackberry added.

Probably Black Satin Thornless blackberries.

For a good recipe try baderbrewing. It is at .com It seems my computer will not let me send the e address. It is really step by step and is close to my wine recipe. Since I'm just retired and bored, I have time to do research. Some good advice on V-trellises and how to get yields. twenty pounds should get me 5 gallons. and 2 plants should get me that with 3 floricanes and 6 laterals in second year. according to research. HortScience Vol.37(1),February 2002

As far as thrnless goes there are numerous different varieties and all are hybrids. Typically they do produce larger fruit. Depending on what part of the country you are living in will determine what variety you will need. I have the Brazos Blackberries and also have wild dewberries growing on my property that I use to make blackberry wine, but I live in Texas where it gets pretty hot, so I purchased a variety that would survive the Texas heat. And yes I use Jack Kellers recipes.

Back