Blackberry Mead 1 Gallon HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshb1

Reaction score
Hi, I have made 1 gallon of mead with roughly 2.2lbs of honey, and 1.5lbs of blackberries. It has been fermenting for two days now, and i have been periodically removing the airlock and cork to mix it up with the handle of a wooden spoon. I froze the berries and added them whole (I NOW KNOW THIS WAS A MISTAKE). They are always floating at the top. Is this a problem? When should i rack the mead into a new carboy so that the berries dont add an off flavour?
Thanks!

you mean the berries floating at the top being a problem? Only in that not being submerged opens up a greater risk of spoilage since you've got a nice culture ready surface for bacteria. Mixing regularly should help prevent this, if you have a good ferment going. I'd do what I could to mash the berries somehow, squishing them on the sides or whatever.

I'm not super sure at what time off flavours come from blackberries having not used them; it will depend on ABV, temp, the berries themselves. Some meads people have found after years still taste fine with the fruit left in. I'd just taste once every week or 2 once fermentation is done and when you've got the berry taste you're after, rack away. If it fades, you could always add some again as it ages.

You should be good on the berries in the 10-20 day range....conservatively. I usually rack of off berries and muscadines when the S.G. hits 1.030.

You have been doing the right thing by mixing it up every so often. No need to worry. Give it 3-4 weeks and then you can rack into a new jug. Should be great.

Yeah no problems here. Just keep shaking it up and they'll eventually sink, or it will be time to rack. The alcohol, will also absorb into the fruit and help keep surface fruits from contaminating.

Back