Black Swan barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
Has anybody tried these before? These sound like a fantastic barrel. Here is a http://www.blackswanbarrels.com/barrel-variations/ They have the Black Swan HONEY COMB® Barrel

Anyways, a local distillery is offering two for 80 bucks at the end of this week. 5 gallon barrels. I am most certain we will get it, but I was wondering if anyone has used them? The extra grooves makes me think after a batch or two, these will make excellent sour barrels because of the added surface area.

Here is what the Distillery said about the two barrels, "Both have been used first for aging our bourbon and then for aging our corn-mash-based gin. So there will be juniper flavors in addition to the whiskey flavors."

We were thinking either a 10 gallon batch of wheat wine, or a wheat wine and a porter. We were also thinking of using Cocoa Nibs after a few weeks. White Chocolate by The Bruery is pretty damn good, so we have always wanted to make that. With a juniper profile, that might not work.

Has anybody tried these before? These sound like a fantastic barrel. Here is a http://www.blackswanbarrels.com/barrel-variations/ They have the Black Swan HONEY COMB® Barrel

Anyways, a local distillery is offering two for 80 bucks at the end of this week. 5 gallon barrels. I am most certain we will get it, but I was wondering if anyone has used them? The extra grooves makes me think after a batch or two, these will make excellent sour barrels because of the added surface area.

Here is what the Distillery said about the two barrels, "Both have been used first for aging our bourbon and then for aging our corn-mash-based gin. So there will be juniper flavors in addition to the whiskey flavors."

We were thinking either a 10 gallon batch of wheat wine, or a wheat wine and a porter. We were also thinking of using Cocoa Nibs after a few weeks. White Chocolate by The Bruery is pretty damn good, so we have always wanted to make that. With a juniper profile, that might not work.

Here is a decent read and review from Bear Flavored.

Latest posts

Back