Black Rye IIPA Technique Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckus95

Reaction score
I want to make both an IIPA and a Black Rye IIPA in the near future. In planning I thought that I would kill two birds with one stone by doing a large mash for the IIPA (2-Row, Vienna, Cara-Pils, Cara-Red, and C60), which I would use as a base wort for both beers. At the same time, I would do a smaller mash (probably BIAB) with Rye, Chocolate Rye, and Carafa III. I would then split the large batch, with one volume of wort for my IIPA and another volume of wort to be added with the smaller mash wort for my Black Rye IIPA.

Beside the extra work of doing two mashes at once and trying to figure out my water volumes for both, does anyone see any problems with this technique?

Thanks for your help.

Technique should work out fine, but it it were me I would mash all the grains except for the chocolate rye and the Carafa 3 then just split the wort, steep the roasted grains in your wort for the one you want to be black and finish the brew. That's how I do my black IPA anyways, to a avoid astringency from the long mashing of roasted grains just steep in the wort for 15 minutes after running off to the kettle.

Back