Black Rock - Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping someone on here has brewed this before. I'm 10 brews in, all have been coopers can brews. They've turned out rather good, first couple were dry and fruity. I've since fixed those issues with dropping most/all dextrose, replaced with malt and temperature control.

This can of hopped extract came from my LHBS for 16.00CDN.

Brewed with
1000g light dry malt
300g dextrose
Supplied yeast(package looked cheap, not all shiny and new like coopers, if that even matters lol)
Topped up to 22L

Has remained steady at about 19°

Krausen ring had formed quickly, but also dropped very quickly, all within 36 hours.

I did put the yeast in some sanitary water(20°) with a bunch of malt. Let it sit for over an hour and added that to the fermenter.

OG was 1.040.

I'm posting because I opened the fermenter to give it a check after the 36 hours and it smells different than I'm use to. Almost a sour scent with the c02.

I have no idea if I've brewed an Ale before, or what cans of coopers are even ales.

Maybe this is the yeast strain I'm smelling?

I hope it's not infected. I don't see any odd signs on the surface of the beer. Gonna leave it closed until 3rd/4th week and go from there.

Uhh, ok... Firstly, it's funny your yeast was a blank package, my 2 Black Rock kits had Cooper's yeast. I'd guess it's Cooper's, just repackaged but who knows.

Concerning the krausen, that's not unlikely you had a quick start to fermentation since you made a basic starter and have low gravity beer, as well as brewing it on the warm side. Good chance it's still fermenting though but the only way to know is to take a gravity reading. That odd smell could be co2 coming off. I find it can get a little funky sometimes. It's probably not infected (especially bad enough to be detectable so early) if your sanitation regimen was appropriate.

What cans of Cooper's are ales? http://www.beer-faq.com/difference-ale-lager/
That's not a direct answer, but you'll figure it out, and should know everything mentioned there.

I appreciate the feedback!

I'm happy to say I now know the difference between the ale/lager, and yeasts. Much to learn/experiment with.

It has been 50 hours or so on my Black Rock Nut brown, the funky sour smell is gone, and the familiar scent of c02 remains.

I took a reading, down to 1.012 from 1.040. Then I took a taste. Very smooth, but lacking in a full flavour. Hoping it turns out to be a little better in a bit.

I've cracked a bottle after 12 days. No aroma, didn't dry hop, good mouth feel. Perfect carbonation.

This kit is lacking an overall flavour. It's called nut brown ale.. I know it's only 12 days, but it's it's just a bland brown ale.

This will make a really good summer brew for over the summer... I will make again but dry hopping a must!

This is a little off topic, but has anyone tried the "red strong brew" from the black rock website? It uses a can of nut brown ale, a can of lager and a can of unhopped wheat, and more hops... sounds interesing

I have brewed some black rock kits. some things I think will help improve the taste are 1) Only brew them to about 19L 2) Maybe try using 500g dextrose and 500g malt. I think 1kg of malt added is too much unless u add additional hops for flavoring.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Agreed. 22L was too much. Would like to cut the malt down a bit too. Thx for the tips!

Latest posts

Back