Black patent - how much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrw28

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to brew a pretty basic porter incorporating black patent for color and slight smokey flavor. I have heard that when used in too high of a quantity it can lend a charcoal flavor. How much do you think is too much to use? Right now it's 5% of my grain bill but I'm considering scaling that down.

Thanks!

I wouldnt say that it is too much, i usually use around 3% in my stouts or porters but I also do not mash it. What I do with dark malts is throw them into a coffee grinder and grind them into a fine power and then stir them into the mash with a couple minutes left. This will give you the color and some flavor of the darker malts without giving you any harsh flavors those malts can be associated with.

Chromados

What I do with dark malts is throw them into a coffee grinder and grind them into a fine power and then stir them into the mash with a couple minutes left. This will give you the color and some flavor of the darker malts without giving you any harsh flavors those malts can be associated with.

Chromados

I like this idea. I assume pH calculations would be a bit different. Cool idea!

I have heard that when used in too high of a quantity it can lend a charcoal flavor.

I've also heard that 1.5lbs of the stuff is used in a clone of Obsidian Stout (scaled version of the real recipe), which is well liked, so you can't very well go off hearsay. Use however much you like and see how it works. I've used a pound before in a stout and loved the results. I actually like it a bit more than roast barley.

Back