Black neipa thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandtrepair

Reaction score
Thoughts on this?? Thinking about using omega tropical yeast.
Screenshot_2018-10-07-15-52-04.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-10-07-15-52-12.jpeg

Chocolate/Roasted Rye/Wheat/Spelt would be my personal choices if I would brew a NE Black IPA and a soft water profile. I think a little Crystal malt can help round up the flavours.

10 oz of hops likely wouldn’t be enough for a light NEIPA. That’s the only style I have been brewing of late trying to nail it. I just made one that still isn’t quite where I want it that had a full pound of hops. I’d think you’d want at least that to cut through the notes the lb of black patent will contribute.

I made an American Black Ale recently in a similar vein. I would definitely recommend one of the debittered black malt varieties and not BPM. It’s far too astringent for the style unless you’re gonna perform a cold steep. Stick to Carafa Special, Midnight Wheat, Perla Negra or Sinamar extract (100% Reinheitsgebot approved). I used 9% Perla Negra (340L) in my recipe and it was perfect.

Think you should reserve more hops between whirlpool and dry hopping. I used about 3 oz/gal for my ABA and it was enough for the hops to pop over the malt. Though I opted for more piney and resinous notes, I think the juicy and fruity hops you have here will work well.

Pine and resin do work well in hoppy Black IPAs, but I've also had pleasent experiences with Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo and Galaxy in these style of beer, so it gonna definitely work in the right amounts.

I would definitely switch out the BP for Midnight Wheat or a similar dehusked roasted malt

Be prepared to make the ugliest beer ever - I've made a black NEIPA and despite 50 SRM (theoretically) it was much closer to 25-30 due to the haze factor. Looked like muddy water. Tasted great tho!

Back