Black NE Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewnoobUNC

Reaction score
i brewed a NE hazy IPA and it’s awesome! I love this beer’s happiness and the tropical, pineapple nose. Great, great beer. Here’s the recipe.

Recipe
12lbs 2row
2.5 flaked pats
1.75 flaked wheat
1# hulls

Yeast 2 packs 1272

Mash 152

45 mins after hotbreak add 1lb lactose

60 mins add hops at flameout
2oz eukenot cryo
2oz Amarillo

Pitch Yeast at 64

dry hop on day 12 with
3oz galaxy
3oz citra
For 3 days.

Has anyone tried a similar recipe but added a toasted/dark grain to give it the color of a blck IPA? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Very confusing post. Subject had me looking at the grain bill looking for something dark. Nada.
And you love this recipe - it's awesome and all - but you only pitched it two days ago?

Anyway...I've never been a fan of the "black IPA" style but clearly some folks are. A bit of de-bittered black patent malt would be a low-risk way to get there, though the whole "haze" thing would be lost...

Cheers!

As far as the color aspect, I gather hes asking if anyone has made a black neipa. I do agree with you that its a very confusing post, maybe he tried a sample of the wort before fermenting or something? Personally I don't think that toasted grains in any form would go well with a neipa but that's the cool thing about homebrewing. You could steep some midnight malt separately and then add after your initial mash to get color without the flavor contributions.

I think a Black NEIPA sounds interesting. I'd steer clear of the usual citrus juice bomb and try to get hops that contribute flavors like strawberries and stonefruit. Chocolate and goes well with fruits like that you so I could see some darker grains going nicely with those flavors.

Apologies. I copied the content from another post off mine month or so ago. The beer has been bottled and carbonated for 2.5 weeks now and is fantastic.

Yes, I’m asking about color. I love black ipas but I love this beer. I was curious if there’s a way to combine the two with this recipe.

I do like CDA’s but with the darkness it may be hard to tell it’s “hazy.” I’d consider it just a soft, tropical CDA. Definitely worth trying out, and I’d be interested to hear how it does

This is actually the next style I’m attempting. I’ve had black IPAs from Trilium and Hill Farmstead and they were miles better than any other West Coast CDA I’ve tried. Almost like a dry stout with a hoppy punch. Just far more soft and muted than anything else resembling the appearance.

I would recommend staying away from overly juicy hops and use some with more balanced resinous character...Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook are good choices here. Keep the flaked grain additions to a minimum, use a debittered black malt for color, and restrain the water profile to a balanced SO4 : Cl range. Remember, you’re never going to notice any haze through all that black malt.

FWIW, here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

1.066 OG, 1.015 FG, 62 IBU, 30 SRM

72% Crisp Maris Otter
9% Briess flaked barley
9% Patagonia Perla Negra
6% Weyermann Munich I
4% Briess Special Roast

35 IBU Magnum @ 60 min FWH
2 Amarillo, 1 Cascade, 1 Chinook @ 30 min hop stand
2 Amarillo, 1 Cascade, 1 Chinook @ 4 day dry hop

WY1272 American Ale II

Back