Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBaggins

cervisiam vitae
Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at a black IPA/Cascadian dark ale. I was at the LHBS and just winged the recipe while chatting with one of the employees.
I had 4oz of various hops at home and wanted to use them up.
Here's what I came up with, all grain.

12# Domestic Pale
.5# 60L Crystal
.5# 120L Crystal
.5# Black Patent
.25# Belgian de-bittered black

whole cone
1oz Columbus 60min
1oz Chinook 15min
1oz Sorachi Ace 10 min
1oz Citra Dry hop

US-05

I brewed on saturday and got an OG of 1.066

I'll see how this comes out and adjust if necessary. I thought maybe some Juniper berries in the secondary or some other roasted grains, possibly more hops, in future batches.

Name?:
Nazgul
The Dark Lord
Darth Sidious
13 Black Cats

Sounds interesting. I typically use more hops for my IPA styles, but if your water is right it could work.

I'm brewing a dark IPA now. My recipe is as follows.

12lb pale 2 row
4lb British pale
0.5lb black patent malt

2 oz Chinook 60 min
2 oz Cascade 10 min
2 oz Columbus 0 min

SG = 1.080

US-05 yeast (1 pack), and S-04 yeast (1 pack)

Will dry hop, not certain which hop to use for that yet.

Here's my black IPA recipe. I don't have grain or hop weights listed so you'll need to use software to fill in for your batch size. Also be aware that the hops are listed in terms of AAU's not IBU's so don't confuse the two in the recipe.

Black IPA O.G. 1.070 IBU: 70
45% American 2-Row
45% German Pilsner
5% Munich Type II (10°L)
5% Carafa Special III (Dehusked)
15 AAU Magnum or Warrior @ 90 min
4 AAU Chinook @ 30 min
12 AAU Cascade @ 5 min
2 oz. Cascade @ Dry
1968 English ESB Yeast @ 68° until 48 hours after yeast cap falls.
Transfer to secondary. Hold at 68°. Dry hop with Cascade for 5 days.
*Optional Lager @ 32° for 1 week after transferring off of dry hops*

Step mash:
Treat all brewing water with phosphoric acid to 5.5ph.
Mash 2 Row, Pilsner, and Munich malts. Add Carafa at beginning of mash out.
Mash @ 144° for 30 min
Mash @ 153° for 30 min
Mashout 20 min @ 168°
Sparge at 168°
½ tsp Calcium Chloride in mash (5 gallon batch size)
½ tsp Calcium Sulfate in kettle (5 gallon batch size)
90 min boil

Sounds interesting. I typically use more hops for my IPA styles, but if your water is right it could work.

I'm brewing a dark IPA now. My recipe is as follows.

12lb pale 2 row
4lb British pale
0.5lb black patent malt

2 oz Chinook 60 min
2 oz Cascade 10 min
2 oz Columbus 0 min

SG = 1.080

US-05 yeast (1 pack), and S-04 yeast (1 pack)

Will dry hop, not certain which hop to use for that yet.

Tucson water seems to lend itself well to styles like IPA and Stout. For me, typically, if I use 4-5 oz's per batch, it's pretty hoppy. Brewers Friend calc gives me 82+IBU. These were some hops I had at home. If I planned this recipe out, I would have hit it with more/different hops.
First attempt at a CDA. I'll evaluate it from here and see what it needs next time.

Tucson water seems to lend itself well to styles like IPA and Stout. For me, typically, if I use 4-5 oz's per batch, it's pretty hoppy. Brewers Friend calc gives me 82+IBU. These were some hops I had at home. If I planned this recipe out, I would have hit it with more/different hops.
First attempt at a CDA. I'll evaluate it from here and see what it needs next time.

Well you did use quite a strong bittering charge, perhaps you could've used less and then used the leftover for flavoring. Shrug, it should taste fine.

About 1/2 thru the keg now. It's a good beer for a seat of the pants recipe. Not what I was shooting for however.
It's black, quite roasty and a good hop charge, but not as much flavor and aroma hop as I would like.
I was looking over the Wookey Jack thread. I don't want to clone it, but a few changes toward what they do might just hit the mark.

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Picked up ingredients for V 2.0

Reduced the Black Patent by half and doubled the debittered. I also added 3/4# rye.
Changed hops
Columbus 60
Chinook 45
Citra 20
Cascade 10
Citra -dry

I'd get rid of the black patent totally and just go with the debittered. It will help the hops come through more without the roastiness of the black patent hiding it.

I'd get rid of the black patent totally and just go with the debittered. It will help the hops come through more without the roastiness of the black patent hiding it.

I'm want some roasty flavor. I just used too much last time. I thinking using 1/4# this time should do it.

Picked up ingredients for V 2.0

Reduced the Black Patent by half and doubled the debittered. I also added 3/4# rye.
Changed hops
Columbus 60
Chinook 45
Citra 20
Cascade 10
Citra -dry

Did you have a chance to brew v2.0, if so how was it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Did you have a chance to brew v2.0, if so how was it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I did. In fact, that keg is already gone. It turned out to be pretty tasty. Just the right roast flavor and rye bite with a good hop smell and flavor/bitter.
I did a side by side with Wookey Jack. Pretty good representation but mine is about 2%abv less than WJ.

Back