Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantsmachine

Reaction score
I have made a Black IPA, on a previous thread dedhedjed's advice was that i was dryhopping too early in the fermentation cycle. I have taken this onboard and have left my dry hopping until fermentation was well underway.

I am dry hopping this Black IPA with 2 1/2 oz combined of Amarillo & Simcoe. I intended to dry hop for around 2 weeks. What sort of dry hopping schedules do you guys go for on a 30ltr batch and for how long to achieve a powerful resinous IPA? I am VERY interested to hear your opinions!

Link to the brewday for those that are into it.

http://bennachiebrewery.blogspot.com/2010/11/kingsland-black-ipa-brewday.html

No doubts, this pastime is THE most fun a man can have while keeping his clothes on!

For my Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale ;) I dry hop for a week with 30g each Amarillo and Simcoe per 20L - I throw them straight into the fermenter.
This is after two weeks in the primary and an OG of about 1.045.
One of my tastiest brews.
Im going to be making a beefier version soon : 1.065 / 65 IBU.
BTW Ive found that SRM of 19 is perfect to make it black without being roasty.
I havn't used oats before but I may try them.

My first attempt I mistakenly bittered to 70 ibu (1.050). It was innitially undrinkable but after about 10 months in the bottle is excellent. I used US-05 fermented on the warm side. It created this innitial fruity aroma followed by extreme bitterness - most delicious.

Cheers Bru,

Its good to read how different people go about it. Do you throw your hops into the fermenter to increase contact as opposed to hopbagging for an easier clean up? Wouldn't mind seeing your cascadian recipe if that's alright?

Oats do add a silkiness to a beer. I've only tried it in a Herbridean Stout. It was very nice and the mouthfeel change was obvious. I tried(and intend to again) an IPA with a split yeast. I used US05 and Whiteshield IPA's cultured up bottling yeast. I'm planning on trying it again with my next IPA.

Those pints of Titan IPA i had last Winter In Brussels marked my doom!

FWIW, I dry hopped my cascadian dark ale with 1 oz cascade, and 1 oz centennial for 2 weeks after a 2-week primary fermentation.... These are both very aromatic hops. I had bottled a little residual beer from the primary (prior to dry hopping in the secondary) and compared the two finished products; much to my dissatisfaction, I found both beers to have a comparable nose.

MOAR HOPS.

For an IPA? 3 oz/5 gallons/1 month or go home!

That's what I just did, and I tasted the first one last night and it was fan-freaking-tastic. One month is optional (probably too long), but in my opinion, the more hops you can stuff in there the better.

Another vote for more hops is always better. I used to think longer was better too, but some of the hoppy goodness starts to fade if you leave them in too long. For the strongest and freshest flavor and aroma from dry hopping, 7-10 days is usually about right.

I don't use a hop bag, I just throw them (pellets) straight in. I get a bit of hop particles in the bottles but its not a concern.

Heres my recipe (40L batch):
OG : 1.046, 42.3 IBU, 18.5 SRM, Yeast : Nottingham / US-05
7kg 2-row
1/2kg flaked barley
1/2kg crystal 40
400g carafa 1
50g roast barley
30g Simcoe 12.1% 60 min
42g Amarillo 7.5% 30min
42g Amarillo 7.5% 10min
30g Amarillo 7.5% 5min
30g Simcoe 12.1% aroma
60g Amarillo 7.5% Dry hop 7 days

i'm digging the labels...and your blog. i love hearing from brewers all over the world...keep it up and brew on!

Thanks Guys,
I can't claim the marbles as my own idea. Just one of those things i picked up somewhere along the line(senior moments are coming faster these days, luckily by tomorrow i won't remember having them). Zero sterilisation problem with the marbles and the Dry hops are easily reclaimed out of the bag and are now in the freezer waiting to be used as a part of the FWH schedule of the next IPA which is shaping up to be called Oceania IPA.

Gonna brew it on a recultured Whiteshield IPA bottling yeast & 4th gen US-05 @ 60/40 split.

Just kegged my 1st Black IPA (Cascadian IPA as per Zymurgy recipe a couple of issues ago). Very interesting beer. The caramel, coffee, chocolate are present along with a good strong hop punch. I think that the hardest part is that when I go to take a sip because it is so dark I am expecting a stout with little to no hoppiness but instead a I get an IPA with the aforementioned nuances. Montanaandy

I took my Black IPA to a local contest and took 3rd place with it....4oz of Columbus and Citra in a 5 gal batch of this great stuff!

I think that the hardest part is that when I go to take a sip because it is so dark I am expecting a stout with little to no hoppiness but instead a I get an IPA with the aforementioned nuances. Montanaandy

That's it exactly! We tried a bottle (or 2), it was too early for trials(sweet, roast barley bitterness, coffee and huge hops) but i did feel as if i was going in two directions at once with the beer. Brilliant! Drink beer and become confused straight away, normally i have to wait till pint 12 for that to happen! I am in Saudi Arabia at the moment, hoping to get back home in a couple of weeks. We will try the Black IPA again and see if it has matured a touch.

Back