Black IPA thing of the past?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outside of the PNW black IPAs had like one year of popularity. They were more of a brewers passion project. They launched that year or two of alternate color IPAs. Black, red, white, brown, amber.

That said, I've seen more black IPAs in the past twelve months than maybe the past eight years combined. Personally glad to see this little wave of interest.

I hear ya, and I've had a few that I enjoyed...but tbh I only had one in which the brut aspect seemed like a positive (whereas most would have been preferable if they had some extra gravity points and ibu to compensate for them), and that was a brett brut. The brett gave it substantial perception of body despite ending at like .999 and the Brett flavors melded so well with the hops. Wish I had some more of it right now haha.

And I see what you're saying in that bruts don't NEED to be fruit bombs...but all of the ones I've had were. Maybe one with some oily centennial and ctz would be better 🤷. Otoh I also never really liked IPLs so maybe there is some correlation there like you said.

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite hops to play with when you make them? And are you adding enzymes to the fermenter for real super dry bruts, or do you add to the mash and end in that 1.00x range?

I’m honestly still playing with my hop profile to nail down just what I’m looking for. I like my piney hops, but the beer is my wife’s favorite and she prefers the fruitier ones. Next iteration will be Nelson Sauvin for bittering, Azacca, Mosaic, and Idaho (#7 or Gem, haven’t decided) in the whirlpool, and Hallertau Blanc dry hop. Trying to get a not-too-sweet Sauvignon grape-like element with a hint of citrus. And I use enzymes in the fermenter with a little elderflower liqueur (mirroring her favorite champagne cocktail), that gets me to about 1.003. I’m honestly trying to drive it drier as the last couple have been delicious but were wanting for a bit of crispness to her palate.

There's one here in Germany I still need to try called Black Shark.
Someone I know posted his clone attempt on the internet.
He was quite please with it and I might give it a go myself sometime.

The original is 8.5% but he toned it down to about 7%.

5.5 Gallons 62 IBU OG 1.065 Color: 40 L
Yeast MJ M42

Pilsner Malt (51%)
Munich Malt 1 (22.4%)
Vienna Malt (10.2%)
Smoked wheat malt (5.1%)
Caraaroma (400 EBC) (5.1%)
Chocolate Malt (900 EBC) (3.1%)
Carafa Special II (3.1%)

IBU 62
Polaris 25g, 60 min
Cascade (D) 21g,10 min
Cascade (D) 21g, 5 min
Vic Secret: 35g Whirlpool

Dry Hop:
14 g Citra
22 g Sorachi Ace
25 g Vic Secret

M42 is like Nottingham but you can use any American ale yeast of your choice or even WLP007.
The Polaris had 18.9% alpha acids so you can sub it out with another high alpha bitter hop.
Also American cascade can be used instead of German.

Reviving this thread after nearly 2 years.
After 2 or 3 years of avoiding the style I'm interested again and will give the above recipe a go after the Summer.
Unless someone has a new brilliant Black IPA recipe they want to share?

This is the best one I have ever tried but no idea of the recipe and the brewery never replied to any emails I sent

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bevog-rudeen-black-ipa/317259/

I've converged on this recipe for a black IPA. 2.5 gallons, so scale accordingly:

5 lb. English pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
0.7 lb Carafa III Special
0.25 lb. English medium crystal

6 g Magnum (15.1% AA) @ 60 min.
6 g Sabro LUPOMAX (19.5% AA) @ 10 min.
12 g Lotus (15.3% AA) @ 10 min.
10 g Sabro LUPOMAX (19.5% AA) @ stand for 10 minutes @ 150 F
24 g Lotus (15.3% AA) @ stand for 10 minutes @ 150 F
14 g Sabro LUPOMAX (19.5% AA) dry hop 2 days before packaging
32 g Lotus (15.3% AA) dry hop 2 days before packaging

Lallemand Nottingham @ 64 F

I love this hop combination, but admittedly Sabro is not for everyone.

I've converged on this recipe for a black IPA. 2.5 gallons, so scale accordingly:

5 lb. English pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
0.7 lb Carafa III Special
0.25 lb. English medium crystal

6 g Magnum (15.1% AA) @ 60 min.
6 g Sabro LUPOMAX (19.5% AA) @ 10 min.
12 g Lotus (15.3% AA) @ 10 min.
10 g Sabro LUPOMAX (19.5% AA) @ stand for 10 minutes @ 150 F
24 g Lotus (15.3% AA) @ stand for 10 minutes @ 150 F
14 g Sabro LUPOMAX (19.5% AA) dry hop 2 days before packaging
32 g Lotus (15.3% AA) dry hop 2 days before packaging

Lallemand Nottingham @ 64 F

I love this hop combination, but admittedly Sabro is not for everyone.
I Love sabro in an American wheat. How would you describe lotus? Never had that one...

I'm down to one bottle of my Black IPA. It got rave reviews from my distinctly non-expert audience which includes a couple of friends who are usually adamantly anti-IPA.

It was an extract brew (equal parts Dark and Amber DME) with steeping grains (Biscuit, Cara Brown and Chocolate Wheat) and some amber candi sugar.

I'm the furthest thing in the world from a hop guru, so I tend to just use whatever easy to find hops the recipes I find online call for. In this case it was Centennial, Mosaic, and Citra in the boil and a Columbus dry hop.

I'm sure I can improve on it, but I've got four or five recipes ahead of it in the queue.

Back