Black IPA Serving Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJL

Reaction score
I picked up a black IPA today. I've never had this style of beer before. So what would be the optimal serving temp to enjoy it as it was intended?

I'm looking at you west coast people....:drunk:

I vote for 45 F. Bars always serve them too cold. 50 would work, but I've found that I like 45 in my kegerator.

Same as any IPA. the dark malt really does not alter the overall flavor profile significantly. really just a slight roasty flavor. Of the few I've tried.

its not like Guinness that you wanna drink at 55-60F :)

Thanks. I was kind of leaning toward the cooler temp. I haven't tried one before, but my understanding of the style is that the roasted grains are more for color than flavor.

I love black IPAs. Which one did you get?

I agree with what the others have said; let it warm up a little so the flavors and aromas can open up a bit more.

The one I tried was from Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee. So, it probably isn't a particualarly well known beer outside of WI. However, they do make good quality beer, so I am comfortable with their versions of any style.

I usually let my beer warm up some before drinking just because I think fridge temps are too cold and impact the flavor.

After drinking it, I will say that it's about like any other IPA I've had. It's very hoppy. It was good, but I still don't really understand the purpose of the dark roasted malts other than for color.

Back