Black ipa results... First pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
I brewed a black ipa and I had it on the primary for 1 month (68 degrees). I then kegged it and carbed it for about two weeks and then gave it a try. My first thoughts were that there was a bitterness from the roasted malts. Do you guys think it will mellow out as it sits longer? Maybe with the darker beer I need to let it age a little? Thoughts? I don't believe it is the hops in the beer. It is a little different than the flavor the hops normally have.

You brewed a black IPA and you're surprised that it's bitter?

Okay.

It may smooth out a little over time, but it's really hard to say how much. Not a lot would be my best guess.

Did you use the pound of carafa II and the half pound of special roast? Were there any mods that you did to the recipe?

In my recent CDA, I used a full lb of debittered black and it still had the roasty astringent/bitter flavor to it. It made it very interesting imo. I read that cold steeping helps with astringency? Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe something to consider for next time if you don't want the dark roastiness.

The recipe I found (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/darth-vader-black-ipa-218904/) says it's 1.066 OG and 66 IBU, which is a 1:1 BU:GU ratio, which will be quite firmly bitter.

Are you sure you used the Carafa Special, and not plain carafa? There's a big difference, especially if you are using an entire pound of it in a 5-gallon batch. If you did not use the de-husked version, you have essentially made an American Stout or Robust Porter.

I brewed this beer and have a few bottles chilled here at work with me. I didn't get any 'roasted' bitterness, and could actually go for some more hops IMO. Overall it was a good beer. Here were my alterations due to availability:

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.2 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.7 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 29.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 15.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 8.4 IBUs
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 -
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.5 min Hop 11 0.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

I had no mods and scaled for my 3.5 gallon batch... I ordered the dehusked but wit the flavor I am getting I am beginning to wonder if they sent the husked. I had never worked with either the husked or dehusked so I did not look to close or able to notice a difference. All in all it tastes good just had more of the astringent/bitter than I was expecting since I had read the dehusked does not provide that flavor as much.

Next time, keep your carafa separate from the rest of your grains. Mash as normal, and add the carafa at the end before you do your runoff and sparge. You will avoid a lot of the roasted astringency and still get a great color from it. I use carafa special.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I will try that for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Like mentioned above, I'd consider cold steeping the dark grains next time. Dark grains already went through the starch to sugar conversion during the roasting process. Steeping them in hot water during the mash only extracts tannins and adds astringency.

Cold steeping means to add the grain to water and let it sit 24hrs in the fridge. This will extract all the wanted roasted flavors while leaving the astringent tannins out.

It's also recommended to add the cold steeped wort in during the last few minutes of the boil vs boiling it for the full duration.

Code:
A few bottles at work? Sounds like I'm in the wrong business. :sly:

Join the tech industry....we have kegerators in our office. Lagunitas, Altamont Beer and soon to be my home brew on tap :) 3pm is beer time in the office

I recently brewed a BIPA and I used Midnight Wheat and Black Malt. In a 3.5 gallon recipe, I used 1 pound of Midnight Wheat, and 1/4 pound of Black Malt. There was a nice roast-y flavor, without the bitterness one would expect. I'm not sure where I got the Midnight Wheat idea, but it was winner-winner chicken dinner all the way.

Cold steeping sounds like it will produce the exact flavor I was expecting..... I have heard of the midnight wheat. In fact I believe it was thrown around in the Darth Vader recipe post.

Back