Black IPA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd ditch the carapils and up the Munich a few pounds, while decreasing the 2-row a tad to keep the overall grain weight the same. Munich adds a really nice character in black IPA. I used 4lbs in my last batch, something like 34%.
Maybe add or move some of the hop additions to 5 minutes and flame out for more aroma, as well. I love black IPA, really not enough on the market. But that's okay, I make my own that is basically my benchmark for how black IPA should taste.

I'd ditch the carapils and up the Munich a few pounds, while decreasing the 2-row a tad to keep the overall grain weight the same. Munich adds a really nice character in black IPA. I used 4lbs in my last batch, something like 34%.
Maybe add or move some of the hop additions to 5 minutes and flame out for more aroma, as well. I love black IPA, really not enough on the market. But that's okay, I make my own that is basically my benchmark for how black IPA should taste.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll work those in....

Dry hop. Every IPA needs dry hopping, IMO. 2-4oz should be about right. Maybe a 1/2 pound of light crystal would help balance things out. Later additions are a better thing if aroma and flavor are your concern. Dark malt can drown hop character, so it's a good idea to use a bit more aroma hops than a normal IPA.

Dry hop. Every IPA needs dry hopping, IMO. 2-4oz should be about right. Maybe a 1/2 pound of light crystal would help balance things out. Later additions are a better thing if aroma and flavor are your concern. Dark malt can drown hop character, so it's a good idea to use a bit more aroma hops than a normal IPA.

I thought I'd try a heavy dose at flameout and steep for 10 minutes rather than dry hop...I've heard recently that they have similar affect on aroma. Thoughts?

I thought I'd try a heavy dose at flameout and steep for 10 minutes rather than dry hop...I've heard recently that they have similar affect on aroma. Thoughts?
A big addition at flameout will definitely help, but you will lose quite a bit of hop aroma during fermentation. I recently made a fairly similar recipe and neglected to dryhop- wish I had. The roasted malt is unbelievably effective at covering up hop flavor/ aroma. Do yourself a favor and go for the hopstand and a decent size dryhop. I wish I had and most definitely will next time I come back to my black ipa.

A big addition at flameout will definitely help, but you will lose quite a bit of hop aroma during fermentation. I recently made a fairly similar recipe and neglected to dryhop- wish I had. The roasted malt is unbelievably effective at covering up hop flavor/ aroma. Do yourself a favor and go for the hopstand and a decent size dryhop. I wish I had and most definitely will next time I come back to my black ipa.

you can still retain quite a bit of hop aroma, even without a dry hop.

take a look at AB...no dry hop there, and plenty of hop aroma:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=176191

Ive been obsessed with making a Black IPA that tastes perfect to me and I;ve almost got it down. I've found that the keys are getting the black color with minimal roast character and finding hops that pair with the small amount of roast character.

For the roasted malts. I always, always use midnight wheat. Its the darkest malt you can get (that I know of) and has the least amount of roast. Other options are blackprinz and carafa III. For reference Perla Negra is 340L and Midnight Wheat is over 500L. It'll take less to get it black. Ive found 1lb of any of the above malts will get you a black color, as long as you do a mashout (5gal). I like to add 1/2 of the blackening malt in the mash and the other half just at mashout for the least possible amount of roast while still looking like a stout. I also mash very low and add some cane sugar to dry the body out. I dont want a hoppy stout, it has to feel like an IPA

For hops, I think you need at least 3x what youve got in order to make anything thatll wow people. My last one had over a pound of hops in it. Cost a pretty penny, but totally worth it to see peoples eyes bug out when they took their first whiff. Also, large flameout additions followed by a whirlpool/hopstand is key IME.

Ive found that piney and dank go very well in Black IPAs. I stear clear of floral geared hops after a few wonky beers with them. My favorite combo so far is simcoe and chinook. Still searching for a 3rd hop to compliment. My latest and greatest black IPA hop schedule was:

@60: 1 oz magnum or whatever
@15: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz mosaic
@0: 2 oz simcoe / 2 oz mosaic / 2 oz chinook
@+30min into hopstand: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz mosaic / 1 oz chinook
@dry: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz mosaic / 1 oz chinook
@dry2: 2 oz comet
@keg: 1 oz simcoe (whole) / 1 oz chinook(whole)

m00ps, what's the calculated IBUs in your recipe?

Ive been obsessed with making a Black IPA that tastes perfect to me and I;ve almost got it down. I've found that the keys are getting the black color with minimal roast character and finding hops that pair with the small amount of roast character.

For the roasted malts. I always, always use midnight wheat. Its the darkest malt you can get (that I know of) and has the least amount of roast. Other options are blackprinz and carafa III. For reference Perla Negra is 340L and Midnight Wheat is over 500L. It'll take less to get it black. Ive found 1lb of any of the above malts will get you a black color, as long as you do a mashout (5gal). I like to add 1/2 of the blackening malt in the mash and the other half just at mashout for the least possible amount of roast while still looking like a stout. I also mash very low and add some cane sugar to dry the body out. I dont want a hoppy stout, it has to feel like an IPA

For hops, I think you need at least 3x what youve got in order to make anything thatll wow people. My last one had over a pound of hops in it. Cost a pretty penny, but totally worth it to see peoples eyes bug out when they took their first whiff. Also, large flameout additions followed by a whirlpool/hopstand is key IME.

Ive found that piney and dank go very well in Black IPAs. I stear clear of floral geared hops after a few wonky beers with them. My favorite combo so far is simcoe and chinook. Still searching for a 3rd hop to compliment. My latest and greatest black IPA hop schedule was:

@60: 1 oz magnum or whatever
@15: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz mosaic
@0: 2 oz simcoe / 2 oz mosaic / 2 oz chinook
@+30min into hopstand: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz mosaic / 1 oz chinook
@dry: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz mosaic / 1 oz chinook
@dry2: 2 oz comet
@keg: 1 oz simcoe (whole) / 1 oz chinook(whole)

Hmm I couldnt really tell you due to the emphasis on the hopstand additions. Ive read some people approximate them as 15 or 20min additions but I dont think thats accurate. All I know is that the bitterness is very low for that amount of hops. All my IPAs like this have come out significantly less bitter tasting than say SN's Pale Ale. My black IPAs taste a bit more bitter due to the roasted malt accenting the bitterness though. If I had to guess I'd probably say it tastes like it in the 40s but thats the end perception on your palate

Latest posts

Back