Black IPA - I need help /w Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wich3r

Reaction score
Hello fellas!

I want to do my first attempt to Black IPA, but I need some help with Hop Schedule, I just don't have concept for it... ;/

So I have 50grams[1.76 oz.] of Chinook/Centennial/Cascade/Magnum

and my grain bill:

5,50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5,9 EBC) Grain 1 78,6 %
0,50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt (30,0 EBC) Grain 3 7,1 %
0,50 kg Carafa I (800,0 EBC) Grain 2 7,1 %
0,25 kg Brown Malt (128,1 EBC) Grain 4 3,6 %
0,25 kg Brown Sugar, Light (15,8 EBC)

I'm looking for anything around 70-100 IBU.
I came out with something like this:

50,00 g [1.76oz] Magnum [11,20 %] - Boil 60,0 min 55,4 IBUs
25,00 g [0.88oz] Chinook [11,20 %] - Boil 10,0 min 10,4 IBUs
10,00 g [0.35oz] Centennial [8,50 %] - Boil 10,0 min 3,0 IBUs
15,00 g [0.52oz] Centennial [8,50 %] - Boil 5,0 min 2,7 IBUs
25,00 g [0.88oz] Cascade [7,70 %] - Boil 1,0 min 0,8 IBUs
25,00 g [0.88oz] Cascade [7,70 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days 0,0 IBUs
25,00 g [0.88oz] Centennial [8,50 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days 0,0 IBUs
25,00 g [0.88oz] Chinook [11,20 %] - Dry Hop 7,0 Days 0,0 IBUs

So, what do you think guys?

I'd reduce the crystal malt down to 5% max and probably cut or substitute the brown sugar with regular cane or white. The brown malt is a bit unusual, but should be fine.

If you want a more hop character, I'd increase your late kettle additions; leave the magnum as is and then move the 25g of chinook to 20min for more flavor, and use the rest of the kettle hops as your 1 min/KO addition. Dry hopping looks fine.

Also, I spent a week in Wroclaw a few years ago, had a great time and loved the city. Impressive rynek.

agree with above. This wont be very hoppy as is

I would add a lot more hops are flameout and steep them for a while before chilling. This is the best method to get a pungent hop character at a homebrew level IME

I also agree with taking out the crystal. Black IPAs are not easy to make, at least to make well. Most brewers I see just add 1lb of a debittered black malt to an IPA and call it a day. This does not turn out well IME. You need to adjust the grain bill to get it as dry as possible so you arent making what is really a hoppy stout. Definitely use some cange sugar to dry it out, mash low, and dont use crystal hops.

Also to consider is the hop choices. Ive found nto all goodd "IPA hops" work well in bkack IPAs. Some flavors clash with the slight roast and it muddles everything. I personally find pine/dank/citrus hops are well suited for black IPAs. The hop you chose will turn out well IMO

Actually, grain bill is tweaked one from
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=218904
Scooby is polish homebrewer also, I've met this recipe on polish homebrewing forum and it get really awesome feedback. It also look a bit sweeter Black IPA and I actually like it a bit more than super dry ones.
But, going back to hops. Yeah I forget to order more hops, I still want to brew this. I'm looking for more piney, pungent aroma. That's why I mostly pushed into those three hops. I expect Centennial and Cascade give me enough citrusy[more like orange] to not make hop profile 'too heavy' . I haven't enjoyed ANY Black IPA that was based on Equinox/Mosaic/Citra. So that why I focused on those hops instead of Juicy-ones.

@bierhaus15, I do that schedule, I was thinking about it, but of course I have to overcomplicate late-boil hopping. Glad you like Wrocław, right know it's probably the center of Craft beer in Poland ;)

Back