Black from pop kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerome Sidley

Reaction score
I'm just setting up a keg system. While washing the ball lock kegs I got, the black rubber tops and bottoms are leaving black on everything, is there a way to stop this? more washing does not seem to help.

I'm just setting up a keg system. While washing the ball lock kegs I got, the black rubber tops and bottoms are leaving black on everything, is there a way to stop this? more washing does not seem to help.
I had a few older ones that did the same thing. What I did was clean and scrub them good, let them dry and then sprayed them with a transparent spray from a spraycan (sorry, I dont know the english word for it). It has worked perfectly.

I just accept that they will leave "skidmarks" in my fridge/wherever, and if I really cared I'd periodically clean the marks off (any household spray cleaner should do.) It's purely cosmetic, not a sanitation issue. And not just old kegs, new ones will do the same.

I can handle skid marks its the crap that gets on my hands, when I wash them there are rivulets of black water that run off of the rubber.

I just live with the streaks. Most of my kegs aren't bad at that but the rubbers on a few of the oldest are wicked oxidized and streak like crazy.
I wonder if a coating of Flex Seal would work...

Cheers!

Back