Black Bits On My Kombucha Scoby - Identification?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misspiggylee

Reaction score
Hi,

I found these black bits on my kombucha scoby and I’m wondering if anyone knows what they are? Is it mold? An insect etc?

I keep my brews covered up with a dish towel and elastic band in my den.
Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• EEAF4906-FEE6-400B-84C2-E3B149D45FE5.jpeg
    EEAF4906-FEE6-400B-84C2-E3B149D45FE5.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 09E850BB-9BFD-4F21-B2A6-39E02044E313.jpeg
    09E850BB-9BFD-4F21-B2A6-39E02044E313.jpeg
    856.4 KB · Views: 10
The closeup looks like mold developing. I would cut those black pieces out.

How long has the kombucha been sitting there under the towel? I'm not an expert on this, but think it's good habit to submerge the scoby from time to time (every 3-5 days?) by pushing her down somewhat, to keep her surface wet and acidic, preventing anything else from growing on it.

I have 2 batches sitting on my shelf for just over 2 weeks. I was ready to bottle when I found the black spots. It developed in both batches.
I considered mold as well but it’s not fuzzy/coloured so I was wondering what other possibilities it could be.

I have 2 batches sitting on my shelf for just over 2 weeks. I was ready to bottle when I found the black spots. It developed in both batches.
I considered mold as well but it’s not fuzzy/coloured so I was wondering what other possibilities it could be.
Yes, indeed, mold usually growths on top and is fuzzy, but it can be embedded (at least partially) given enough time.

If not mold, could it be fruit flies or their larvae?
Is there a way they could get in, such as a small hole? They love sweet, sour, and vinegary things.

Back