Black Belgian IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewcoopergt

Reaction score
Going on a brewing adventure and going for a Black Belgian IPA. Using extract and steeping specialty grains. Thoughts on the grain bill?

6lbs. Extra Light Dry Extract
12oz. Crystal 20
4oz. Crystal 75
4oz. Carapils
2oz. Victory Malt
2oz. Biscuit Malt
12oz. Blackprinz Malt (500L) - merely color adjustment
.5lb. Honey

Using Wyeast 3711 - French Saison

Then we come to hop issue. I love and lean towards citrus and piney hops, but am open to suggestions. Any opinions on great hop varieties/combinations for a Belgian IPA? I have a myriad of different hops to choose from. If needed, I can post the varieties I have.

Thanks for any opinions. Hope to do this one next week.

If you do a search of some of the commercial belgian IPAs it seems that they bitter with something like warrior or simcoe and the late/dry hops usually have amarillo. Centennial, columbus and cascade are pretty prominent in the mix for middle additions. I personally really love the combination of warrior for bittering and amarillo late/dry hop in the belgian IPA that I do. I use the belgian ardennes yeast though (wyeast 3522) so it might be a little different using the French Saison. I've never used that yeast. Good luck :mug:

I would suggest eliminating the Crystal 20 and Carapils, and boostin the 75 to 8oz. You do not need all three, and I would say that's too high of a percentage of crystal malt. I would also suggest either eliminating the Biscuit and Victory malt altogether as I do not think you'll get much character from steeping these.

As for hops, I think Styrian Goldings and Sorachi Ace could be a cool combo. If you've ever had Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, it's a great saison with that hop.

Thanks for the replies already.

Love the hop combo ideas. I do love Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, but sadly that is one hop i do not have. BlindOwl, i think i will most likely go with some sort of combination close to what you said, because as i said before, im a sucker for the C's and citrus/piney.

Rooster - you are probably right about the biscuit and victory. Those in generally have to be mashed, correct? With the crystal, what would be the affect of that high of a %? I've brewed for a little while now but still learning.

Thanks again

It ended up being outstanding. Probably the most interesting and unique one ive done to date. It's been a while, but i think i hopped it up with a bunch of Falconers Flight, Centennial, and Citra (and also dry hopped with Falconers).

It had an incredible nose and up front taste of citrusy hops, but it also had a spiciness from the yeast that you dont get with other IPAs. The taste transitioned into a nice saison then ended with a little bit of a toasted note.

Very very good. And although probably gimmicky, the pitch black appearance was a fun twist. It really threw people off.

Falconer's Flight is a great hop! It's like Chinook with that grapefruit tang to it! I make an ESB with it - despite it not being English... :)

What was your hop schedule in the end? Very interested in this, I assume if u were blindfolded you couldn't tell it was black??

Yeah if blindfolded, you would never think it was dark in color.

I usually do a 60min, 15min, 5min, flameout schedule, but I would need to look back at my beersmith to figure out amounts at each time. I'll try and remember to get on this evening and post it.

Yeah if blindfolded, you would never think it was dark in color.

I usually do a 60min, 15min, 5min, flameout schedule, but I would need to look back at my beersmith to figure out amounts at each time. I'll try and remember to get on this evening and post it.

Cheers andrew Post the full recipe you ended up doing for others (and me), so they are aware of what to do, if it catches their eye.

Definitely going to try this one. Been looking for an extract recipe to try with Belgian yeast to handle all the heat coming our way in TX soon.

Back