BJCP Style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Need help with selecting a BJCP style for a homebrew competition entry. At its base the beer is an imperial stout (about 9.5% abv) but 16 oz cocoa powder is added during the boil. During secondary fermentation it will sit on bourbon-infused oak spirals, cocoa nibs and vanilla beans for two weeks, then aged in keg for 2 months (I wish I had longer but that's all the time I have). So is this:
1) 20C (Imperial Stout)
2) 30A (Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer)
3) 33A (Wood-Aged Beer)
4) 33B (Specialty Wood-Aged Beer)
5) Something else...?

Hoping for replies from BJCP judges that really know these styles. Let me know if more info is needed...

Mike

Assuming all your adjuncts are detectable as such....

I would go Specialty Wood Aged.

In the heirarchy of specialty styles wood aged is your prevailing style. Basically, you have a "specialty" wood aged beer (your base style is Spice Herb Vegetable, for which your base style is Imperial Stout).

If the oak isn't recognizable but the adjuncts are, enter in SHV.
If the cocoa and vanilla aren't, but the oak is, enter in Wood Aged as opposed to Specialty Wood Aged (though it's ambiguous if the Bourbon character would alone constitute Specialty, either would probably be fine).
If neither are identifiable, then enter in regular Imperial Stout.

Remember that rule #1 of competition categories is "enter how it's perceived, not what you intended or what you did". Doesn't matter what you did if the judges can't taste it.

Cheers
BJCP Grand Master judge.

Remember that rule #1 of competition categories is "enter how it's perceived, not what you intended or what you did". Doesn't matter what you did if the judges can't taste it.
Exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for. Thank you for explaining in such detail. Sounds like I just need to wait, taste it right before entering and set the style based on how it tastes. Many thanks...
Mike

Would you be able to enter 3 times
1 in imperial stout
1 in spice , herb vegetable
1 in specialty wood aged.

Then see what the judges think in each category and you have useful info for next time.

we can enter as many beers as we want but only 1 in each main style category so I think this one covers any stout variations

we can enter as many beers as we want but only 1 in each main style category so I think this one covers any stout variations

Mostly likely not exactly like that. Usually you can only enter one entry per sub category. They can all have the name something something stout as long as they don't have the same exact cat/subcat.

Back