BJCP competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
So I have entered 3 beers in my first BJCP homebrew competition.

While the deadline for entries and edits have passed, I have another week before I need to drop off the beer itself.

Now, here is the question:

I filled out all the requested information in my regisitration but did not list the specific recipes for each beer.

The guidelines listed the statement "special ingredients that must be specified per the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines. Failure to note such ingredients may impact the judges' scoring of your entry."

I didn't have any special ingredients in any of my beers. That seemed to be the only recipe info that was mandatory to be listed.

Am I going to have an issue since I didn't list the recipe for my beers??? I did fill out everything else in terms of categories and such. Honestly, I was planning on listing the recipes but forgot to go back and do that edit before the deadline came.

There are several categories that require additional info to be entered. Category 6D - American Wheat or Rye, for example. This category requires that you define if you used wheat or rye. Usually the competition software will make it a required field if you enter one of those categories.

Full recipes usually aren't required, so don't stress too much about that.

Thanks. I am entering a mild, southern brown and a helles. I didn't see those as having any special ingredient notations.

Looking forward to the feedback from the judges.

Thanks. I am entering a mild, southern brown and a helles. I didn't see those as having any special ingredient notations.

Looking forward to the feedback from the judges.

No, those don't require any additional info.

I've seen a couple of competitions where recipes are required at entry. The judges don't ever see them, but I think they are required to ensure that you actually brewed the beer and the recipe "matches" the flavor of the beer (say, enter a commercial beer as a homebrew you made). I have seen a few that then publish the winner's recipes on their website, and that's one of the things that you agree to when you enter and submit the recipe. But that's unusual, and it's spelled out in the rules and instructions in advance.

I'm most interested in what the judges detect flavor-wise. They all taste pretty good to me, but it's going to be a learning experience to see what they think. I have a taste for beer:), but it is amateur when it comes to detecting specific flavors.

Next time I will try to be a steward and see what else I can learn from the judges.

What happens if you are the only entry for a category of beer? Do you automatically win first place in that area?;)

I'm most interested in what the judges detect flavor-wise. They all taste pretty good to me, but it's going to be a learning experience to see what they think. I have a taste for beer:), but it is amateur when it comes to detecting specific flavors.

Next time I will try to be a steward and see what else I can learn from the judges.

What happens if you are the only entry for a category of beer? Do you automatically win first place in that area?;)

They may combine categories if that's the case.

I am organizing my first competition for the end of May. In the info pack from bjcp/aha I think it recommends at least 5 bears in each class or combine similar styles.

I'll tell ya. I'm glad I don't have to do this very often. What a damn pain in the @#^%!

I made one of those picnic taps with the racking cane and stopper, bottle filler do-dads. Well, it worked, at least after the first few bottles. But I'm disconnecting the tap lines, hooking up the bottle filler, lowering the serving pressures, etc. On 3 kegs!

Damn beer was everywhere. Down the sides of the kegs, on the fridge floor,
dripping out of the filler and all over the floor. Dripping off the bottles on the kitchen floor. I finally got the kegs in the kegerator back to normal and cleaned up.

So with 3 entries, that's 6 bottles X 12 ozs= 72 ozs of beer in bottle entries, and a gallon of beer all over the garage and kitchen floor.

I don't know how many beer entries I want to do in the future. Maybe the judges can come over and drink out of my taps:D I'll make pizza too.

Back