Bizarre cascade(?) plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
I tried growing cascade last year from a cutting for it to dry up and die. I composted it and used it to fill a hole to find a hop crawling up my fence this past spring. Assuming it was my zombie cascade finally come to life I potted it in potting soil and it took off great all spring and summer. Now fall weather is quickly approaching in New England and it has a bizarre purple color and geranium smell. I’ve seen things like this before on here with people saying it’s a japonicus hop but it seems bizarre that where I threw my dead hop is where this random japonicus hop popped up. Any thoughts would be great.

Attachments

• 97EB1571-D27E-4228-8F3B-C6BB94C8C53A.jpeg
    97EB1571-D27E-4228-8F3B-C6BB94C8C53A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 0C181556-A3C3-41E4-BBDE-0D3803753B2A.jpeg
    0C181556-A3C3-41E4-BBDE-0D3803753B2A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
It sure looks like japonicus. I've seen it growing locally in a few different locations and those buds being formed this late in the year would be a good indicator along with their color. You can positively ID it this fall by digging it up and looking for buds located on the root system. No buds would tell you it's japonicus as they are annuals which grow from seed as opposed to lupulus which has a perennial rootstock and forms buds to provide for new growth the following year.

Latest posts

Back