Bitterness adjustment in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNut2016

BrokenGuyBrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made the switch to BIAB from extract. I have brewed several batches from Pale Ale to IPA without a problem. I tried a Porter for the first time and mistakenly added the hop additions too early in the the boil. The result was an overly bitter brew going into the primary. It is drinkable (to me). However, my concern is the bitterness perceived by others as they drink the final product. Is there a way to reduce bitterness during or after fermentation? I'm thinking adding a sweet fruit puree to secondary will reduce the bitterness. Am I correct in that thinking?

A fruit puree will ferment out and not really add sweetness. You would want to add a non fermentable sugar like lactose instead. You might also let it condition a bit and see what you get. What was the recipe?

I made the switch to BIAB from extract. I have brewed several batches from Pale Ale to IPA without a problem. I tried a Porter for the first time and mistakenly added the hop additions too early in the the boil. The result was an overly bitter brew going into the primary. It is drinkable (to me). However, my concern is the bitterness perceived by others as they drink the final product. Is there a way to reduce bitterness during or after fermentation? I'm thinking adding a sweet fruit puree to secondary will reduce the bitterness. Am I correct in that thinking?

Before you make changes to the beer you have made, be aware that a porter will change quite a bit in flavor in the first 3 months or so. Be patient.

A fruit puree will ferment out and not really add sweetness. You would want to add a non fermentable sugar like lactose instead. You might also let it condition a bit and see what you get. What was the recipe?

It was my creation:

5 lbs Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr)
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
10.1 oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess)
6.1 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Dark [Boil for 90 min]
1.00 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 80.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Golding, U.S. [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
2.0 pkg US West Coast Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M44)

Definitely don't add fruit - it will dry it out more and add a tartness that further offsets sweetness. The taste going in to primary is often overly bitter - this calms down after the yeast drop the pH. I'd be reluctant to mess with things too much now - it will be what it will be. Maybe using DME for natural carbonation though (whether in bottle or keg) will add a bit of body to offset the bitter.

I didn't have the time to let it age too much unfortunately (5 weeks from brew to serve). I served the Porter up at a New Years Eve party (well 3 home brewed beers in total). All were a hit but the Porter was a HUGE hit. Live and learn, I guess. I am going to brew that particular Porter again with an addition of flaked oates for mouth feel and let it age for 3-6 months before tapping. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

Back